Author Topic: Ear crackle  (Read 18339 times)

Palace

• Palace
Ear crackle
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:00:39 am »
Dear Forum:

For the past two weeks I now have the "ear crackle" and especially when I swallow.  I suppose that is my latest surprise with the AN symptoms.  (gosh, there are so many symptoms from a big tumor)

Does anyone else have "ear crackle" and when did it start coming on for you?

Oh, there was a message on my answer machine from Stanford yesterday.  They are saying they can't move me up sooner than the end of next month for the CK.

Hanging,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Laura

Re: Ear crackle
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:54 am »
Palace - I notice that symptom as well but mine comes and goes?
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Obita

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:45:32 am »
Palace:

I had that too but not until a month before surgery.  My AN was 2.5cm.  Before surgery the sounds I heard were many.  Crackle, buzzing, electrical snapping/zapping, tin can sounding, whooshing, sloshing and probably many more I have forgotten about.  Now all I think I hear is one annoying can't explain it whine that bumps up to a roar when I am in a noisy setting.  At least now I don't need to wonder:  what the hell was that?  Those pre-surgery sounds were very freaky.

Best of luck with your CK Palace,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:21:37 pm »
I remember that crackle - it only happened when swallowing or during big yawns.   :)

I haven't heard it at all post-op.  But my tinnitus has changed quality since my surgery - not better or worse, just different.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:59:58 pm »
Palace,

Since last May, my girlfriend has been having a problem with crackling in her ear as well. Recently, she went as far as having a head MRI done to check for a possible A.N. The scans came back normal. No growths at all. Still not sure what's causing it though.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:42 pm »
Paul:

It is good to hear that your girlfriend had her MRI and it is normal.  I'm toasting to that and almost finished with my "cold one" and BTW, a *cold-one* and fishing was recommended from this forum.  I have a nice pond here but, no fish in it.

Seriously, if your friend has any other symptoms that are an alert from her body, have her check out other possibilities.  I hope the "crackling sound" in the ear isn't a sign of something else.  (having no idea what)  It sounds like maybe it could be a pressure-thing.  How often does she have this crackle?  If she took say an anti-inflammatory, does it go away?  (meaning Advil or of sorts)

You know how the ear can "pop" at an elevation!  I'm thinking...........I still can do that, so far.

Thank you for the post from all of us,

Palace
single sided deafness

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:18:43 pm »
I had crackling in my ears, both of them, which I attributed to congestion and fluid inside my ear canals.   
It sounded like cellophane candy wrappers. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:24:27 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:24:32 pm »
I get the crackle from time to time and my doctor prescribed Ciprodex. It is an anitbiotic and anti-inflammatory ear drop. Seems to alleviate my crackle.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »
Hello,

I know this subject hasn't been discussed for awhile and I forgot about it until today.  There is severe ear-crackling constantly in my "good-ear."

I've recently (actually just) visited the ENT a few days ago.  I had pressure build-up in my "good-ear."  I started on Nasonex again for about the last week.

What concerns me is, my MRI tomorrow.  I hope it's Okay to endure those loud sounds from the MRI with, my left ear making those strange sounds for whatever reason.  Perhaps the pressure build-up just opened; I really don't know.

I was told I'm nearly deaf in my right ear now; a big change since my last audiologist visit.  I was told I'll be fully deaf in that ear, quite soon!  All I have to get by, is my left ear.  It also concerns me that even though I will use my musician's earplugs during the MRI, everytime we have the loud sounds, they penetrate the cranium and are heard.  (maybe damage to the "good-ear;" some hearing loss due to so many MRI's, drills in my dental profession, confirmed by my audiologist about the loss of hearing on the left side---certain whine sound causing that particular loss also ie: skill-saws, etc.)

I've been going every six months for an MRI, the past two years .  Including the initial MRI, this makes my 5th brain-scan series.

This crackling I have in my "good-ear" is much louder and all of the time, not like 25 months ago, when I posted at the beginning of my AN journey.  I'm hoping it won't be dangerous for me to have the MRI tomorrow at dawn.  I might mention this to the tech who does my MRI.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this?  (about possible dangers of the MRI sounds in my current "good-ear...........crackling condition")  This time around, my ear doesn't crackle when I swallow or move my head, abruptly.

If I touch the ear-lobe it make those loud sounds.  Even the wind blowing caused it to crackle various pitches and loudly.

Much appreciation for any thoughts on this.  Over two years ago when I posted, it was about my AN ear!

Thank You,

Palace
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:53:45 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

LisaP

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:16:53 am »
Hi

I'm a newbie on the watch and wait, and yes "ear crackling" can happen along with ringing, and fullness.  Hang in there.  My next MRI is in Jan of 09.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 06:58:45 pm »
My AN symptoms started with ear crackle and garbled speach.  The ear crackle was like rolling plastic wrap next to my ear...
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!