Author Topic: ANers - Recruitment/Careers advice ?  (Read 7462 times)

tony

ANers - Recruitment/Careers advice ?
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:56:04 am »
No, this is not an AD
Basically looking at the other thread it occurrs to me that many
here are hoping to return to work - but need careful advice.
So are there any former recruitment/headhunter/human resouce
type professionals out there who are prepared (maybe one2one)
to talk through the issues - retraining/part time/self employment ?
Its a big step forward - and easy to fall - sometimes it needs
a clear ( and uninvolved) head to assist in the process.
Are there any takers ?
Best regards
Tony

LizH

Re: ANers - Recruitment/Careers advice ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:43:01 am »
Also we need help with how to present ourselves to propesctive employers even with our disabilities. I have found work but it is contract work for 3 months. Since it is in another state the interview was done over the phone. Now I am worried that they will change their mind when they see me in person  because I walk funny and with a cane. I can do the job. Most of the time I will be sitting and I will be fine. I will be working on a computer and I have no problem typing. I used to have problems writing with my right hand but even that has improved tremendously within the last few weeks. I am exercising to improve my walking poblems too. Some days are good, some days are not. Thanks, Effiya.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:25:22 am »
Wow...great thread.  Thanks for starting it....
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:26:46 am »
Thanks Tony for the topic.  I'm with Effiya on the "how to present your limitations/ situation".  In the other threads on this topic, I recall reading where people go in for an interview, and tell of your AN. ANd that employer's seem to be empathetic at the time, but either don't hire you or let you go shortly after starting the job due to the limitations. I'm wondering  is it better to be upfront at the interview, Or wait unti your've been offered the job, then go in and explain your limitations after accepting the job but before starting it. I think an upfront disclosure could prevent some job offers. But once you have sold yourself and you are hired, would this be the time??
Thoughts???

Luckily what I do I do not have to interview with employers, but with clients. The few real estate transaction I have done wince surgery, I have during the interview, after I think I've got 'em, I explain my situation, I offer a discount on the commission in trade for a little more limited service. I haven't gone out on too many interviews yet, but feel this is a good approach. The few buyers I have dealt with, I have thanked them for working with the disabled.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:01:05 pm »
potential employers are not allowed to ask you if you are disabled.  I posted a link to working and handicapped and what is and not allowed.  After all I've been through I want to work for myself at least I know I'll be appreciated  LOL

I'm learning not to be bashful about speaking up if I need to.  I'm learning how to do taxes right now and hoping to be able to work part time next year.  They do the training in December if you're hired and I am not going back to the doctor until after.  So, I am basically asking them to let me do the training with a chance I will become their employee.  They don't pay for training so I figure what does it matter?  LOL

BusyBonnie

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »
My Husband was laid off from his previous job and was out of work for a time. Shortly after he had developed double vision. He was told by the ER possible MS. He still needed a job so he had an interview and did not tell them about his eyes. They hired him and eventually found out when he had started wearing a patch at work. They were fine about all of it and he is doing wonderfully at work because he had the chance to prove himeself. His eyes are almost completely back to normal now but he was just diagnosed Definate MS. And I have a brain tumor! What a pair aren't we? LOL. I'm not sure if he would have been hired had they known in advance but we weren't willing to risk it. We just figured he'd atleast make a weeks check!
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Static

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »
Just like Batty said, and I was also told by vocational rehad, you DO NOT have to tell your possible employer that you are deaf, dizzy or whatever!  You are protected under the disability act, but, being able to keep a job, that is the trick!  Good luck to all!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 10:17:18 am »
Maybe this link might be of some use...

http://www.ada.gov

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!