Author Topic: 12/7 graft: recovery time and side effects  (Read 6115 times)

marcdi

12/7 graft: recovery time and side effects
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »
Hello everyone. Just a quick poll.. i'd be really interested in your feedback.

1. How long after your AN surgery did you get the 12/7 graft?

2. After the surgery, when did you see your first signs of facial life?

3. How's your tongue doing? Numb/dead? If so, how much of your tongue is affected?

4. Do you rely on tongue movement to achieve facial movement?

5. Are you glad you had the surgery if you did have a choice to not have it (i.e. those of you who didn't have a severed nerve during AN surgery yet your facial nerve still got damaged)

6. Reliability of Nerve Conduction Studies and EMGs - are they accurate in determining irreparable facial nerve damage?

Thanks for your time!!

lorigasper

Re: 12/7 graft: recovery time and side effects
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:37:45 am »
Good morning,

I can't answer all of your questions because I'm still in the healing process.  I'll give you what I can…..
I had my surgery 18 mos. after my AN removal.  I wanted to give the facial nerve every opportunity to begin healing on its own.  My doctor said to expect "tone" to begin returning between 6 and 8 mos.  I'm at 7 mos. and the droop is slowly changing.  My husband has mentioned on several occasions that my face is looking more symmetrical.
The doc says that he expects me to notice movement at 12 mos. or so.  Then I'll start working with a speech path who can help me learn to use my tongue to move my face.  I'll have to develop some new habits:  smile and touch a tooth or something.  He expects that we'll have a pretty good idea of the outcome from surgery at about 18 mos., though he'll follow me for 3 years.  Things continue to change generally.  So far, I'm finding his assumptions to be accurate.
I've not noticed any change in the use of my tongue. The doctor said the swelling had reduced from the surgery, though I didn't really notice.  No numbness, etc.
The only thing I have noticed - that continues - is numbness of my ear and some of my face.  It's returning to normal though, just slowly.  When I touch my jaw, my ear tingles.  Funny.
Hope that helps.
Lori

4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:51:13 am »
Hi-- here's just a quick run through your questions.  My nerve was severed, so there was no need to wait before following through with the graft. 

1. How long after your AN surgery did you get the 12/7 graft?

About 4 months.It's been over 3 years, and I still feel like there is ongoing subtle change.

2. After the surgery, when did you see your first signs of facial life?

I felt change before I saw it.  About 3-4 months.

3. How's your tongue doing? Numb/dead? If so, how much of your tongue is affected?
1/2 numb, some atrophy on the donor side.  Speech somewhat impacted also.

4. Do you rely on tongue movement to achieve facial movement?
Yes.  Movement, not tone.  Intensity of the tongue pressure and placement of the tongue also affect the movement.

5. Are you glad you had the surgery if you did have a choice to not have it (i.e. those of you who didn't have a severed nerve during AN surgery yet your facial nerve still got damaged)
N/A

6. Reliability of Nerve Conduction Studies and EMGs - are they accurate in determining irreparable facial nerve damage?
N/A

Thanks for your time!!
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »
My contribution to your poll  8),, my facial nerve was also severed.

1) my graft was done 4 days after AN surgery. Mine was done in 2011 and even though Dr said at 3 yrs I would see about all the results I was going to get,, I too still see small changes at almost 4 yrs.

2) I would say very small twinges at 3-4 mo. And actual small movement at 6 mo. Dr. Had told me it would be 12-18 mo. Before I would see "what you will get" from graft. Needless to say, changes are still coming at 3+ yrs.

3) same as Smedina,,, 1/2 of tongue is atrophied but not numb as it hurts when I bite it accidentally  :o,,, don't eat on that side of mouth as tongue does not "clear" the food sufficiently,,,I had some swallowing and choking issues at first which have gotten better but I still eat very slowly and intentionally.

4) I do use my tongue for movement; however, it becomes an automatic reflex not intentionally,, if that makes sense. I don't think about putting your tongue in a certain area of my mouth to smile or speak. I have good tone on that side and movement looks symmetrical except smile is not full.

Last two don't apply.
I hope this helps you,,
Jane

translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

marcdi

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:06:20 am »
Thanks for the feedback!

My facial nerve was in tact and was stimulating after surgery but 2 Neurologists and multiple opinions later, it seems the nerve was too stretched. as a result, I have the 12/7 graft done on 1 Sept. Wish me luck!

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »
Good luck wishes and a hug  ;D

You will do fine I'm sure.. Will be thinking of you..
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:44:17 am »
Good luck with the surgery!

-Sam
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

lorigasper

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »
I hope you're doing well!  Just thought I'd pass along an update that may encourage you.  :)  I actually found that I could smirk the day before school started.  I was able to greet my students on the first day of school without a droop!  The doctor didn't expect any willful movement before 12 months, so I thought 8 months was wonderful.  Wishing you the same!
Lori
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

marcdi

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:39 am »
Hi Lori

Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

2 months post 12/7 here - hoping for similar success to you!