Author Topic: When E.N.T and Neurosurgeon not on the same page?  (Read 4456 times)

Gearbox123

When E.N.T and Neurosurgeon not on the same page?
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »
Hi Everyone,  I am still little confused, maybe this has happened to some others @ W and W, not sure? Went to E.N.T for my yearly review of my A.N. I knew there was some growth, his thoughts were aggressive and have been aggressive as far as treatment.  He went from surgery to radiation and thoughts seemed to me sound, with a great background of education and experience in this field. He explained to me that data had been changing with great levels of success for small A.N's. treated with Gamma Knife Radiation.  So he emailed the Neurosurgeon on my growth and his thoughts. Went to Neurosurgeon today only to be told the slight growth, meant next to nothing and radiation was not happening any time soon. I can not understand two Doctors on the same team having two completely  different opinions and can some else please explain  the fact that there was growth but the Tumor was stable? I am confused, thanks . Any thoughts or answers are more than welcomed , a very frustrating day.

MG

Re: When E.N.T and Neurosurgeon not on the same page?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:25:13 am »
Gearbox123,
I am sorry I can't help but that is confusing to say the least. I have had a similar experience with both doctors also. One says get Radiation in a year and other says now. ?? I hope someone can reply to this.

Good luck,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Gearbox123

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »
Hey MG, thanks for the reply, it's not like we could go to Walmart and get a radiation kit! Lol. Right? Can't do it ourselves.  Good luck to you with fullness I have it everyday also almost every minute of the day.  Antihistamines do work pretty good for me.  God bless and be well.

MG

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:42:00 am »

Thanks Gearbox123!  ;D

Many blessing to you,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »
There have been some recent scientific papers backing proactive gamma knife, as having an advantage over W&W.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25077326

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22682708

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21121792
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

MG

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:40 am »
I guess I missed the boat then. There was some hearing loss already but now I am nearly deaf. Sometimes we just don't know which way to go. Some folks do great being on W&W and others don't. I will be seeing my new doctor to find out about radiation next week.Thanks PaulW for the info.

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.

arcticrose

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »

I did do it myself, I had no Drs help.  I am up here in Alaska and had to handle it all myself.  I relied on this board for help and them I have to say my ins. co and I became close and they actually helped me find my Dr. Smith in San Diego.  So it can be done by yourself.... ;)
4mm x 8mm right side AN found 10/30/11
imbalance, ringing and fullness in ear
CK 3/16/12 San Diego Dr. D. Smith