Author Topic: intralabyrinthine schwannoma recovery period  (Read 5074 times)

Martha G

intralabyrinthine schwannoma recovery period
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »
It has been a few years since I have visited this site and posted anything. I was diagnosed in 2010 with a 4.6mm tumor. My tumor is now 8.7mm. Still on a watch and wait for now because my doctor says after the surgery I will have PT for a minimum of 8 weeks and even with the PT will most likely be unable to walk on an uneven surface. My husband and I are avid hikers and skiers so this will impact my life in such a negative way. Also the doc says as long as it stays in the cochlea it is OK to leave it alone.
I have severe vertigo throughout the day which comes and goes. Horrible tinnitus even though I have been completely deaf in the right ear for almost 2+ years. My left ear fortunately has normal hearing.

I am trying to find anyone who has had this type of tumor removed either with surgery or gamma knife. I am consulting with UCSF, House Ear Clinic and will see a doc at Stanford next week. I would love to know how the recovery process has been.
Martha G

rodneyd

Re: intralabyrinthine schwannoma recovery period
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:32:46 am »
Hi Martha,

It looks like you are the classic example that the size of the AN is not as important as the symptoms it produces, severe vertigo and tinnitus in your case.

I have a 9mm AN in my left ear (diagnosed in 2013) and have mild tinnitus and imbalance issues, but no vertigo unless I do something stupid like look up and try to turn around while doing so.  Walking in the dark is also very difficult as my brain has been using my vision to make up for my balance nerve loss. 

I do have a lot of problems walking on uneven surfaces.  I love to fly fish and two years ago was wading on a river with an uneven bottom and fairly slow currents.  In the good old days, this would have posed no problems at all.  But on that day, I fell into the water twice and had numerous other near misses and knew my wading days were over, but I was not sure why I had lost my balance so badly.  Shortly thereafter I had the MRI and discovered that I had an AN, which I knew nothing about.

Like you, I chose to W and W, and have been very active square dancing, typically three to four times per week during the fall, winter and spring, which I think is great therapy and much more enjoyable than PT.

It sounds like you are mainly considering surgery.  Have you given much thought to Radiotherapy?  Either Gamma Knife or Cyber Knife?  Do you have a ANA support group in your area that you can reach out to and meet with?  There are also lists of ANA members who are willing to talk with you on the phone to discuss your feelings, issues and concerns.

If you do consider surgery, all the literature I have read says to go to a doctor or group that does lots of these operations on a yearly basis. 

In any event, good luck to you and keep us posted.  We are all in the same AN boat!

Rod

74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

Martha G

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
Thanks Rod. I saw Dr. Blevins today at Stanford. He said if it was him, he'd have it surgically removed. It is in the cochlea right now but has doubled in size in 5 years. If it continues to grow at 1mm per year which is what is happening, then it may grow outside of the cochlea and present a bigger problem. I am waiting to get in to see Dr. Chang a neurosurgeon at Stanford who specializes in the Cyber Knife surgery. Blevins said there are risks associated with this as well but I'll wait to see what Chang says.

I have vertigo more often than not but so far can push through it and go about my normal day. I am very active and in good health which is another reason to get this out of my head while I am strong. But having 8-12 weeks of recovery is pushing me to consider the Cyber Knife assuming I'm a candidate.

I haven't found anyone with this type of tumor that has had it radiated or removed surgically. If you hear of anyone please let me know.

This ANA discussion group is awesome!
Martha G

Supermom

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »
I know this is an older post but I'm curious about how your cases have progressed and the decisions and sumptuous may be still dealing with. I just scheduled surgery with Chang & Blevins next month. I have a 2cm AN and both doctors recommended surgery due to the symptoms I am having. I'm so dizzy that I can't drive, feeling like I'm putting my kids in danger. I'm starting to break things with my perception being slightly off. Also I can't taste and the right side of my face is numb. In addition, my concentration is off and some memory problems. I feel confident in both doctors but am scared and devestated that I will be deaf in one ear. I guess it could be worse. At least I have my life. I would love to hear any feedback.
Diagnosed 12/23/16, 20mm
Awaiting surgery with Chang/Blevins at Stanford

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:30:35 pm »
Hi Supermom. You mentioned that can't taste. Is this just on the right side of your tongue or all over your tongue. I have the right side of my tongue with altered taste. This particularly affects sweet things. I've found I've adapted by chewing sweets on the left side of my mouth.