Author Topic: Brackmann vs. Friedman  (Read 4328 times)

voyager

Brackmann vs. Friedman
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:13:35 am »
Greetings Fellow ANers!

Let me first start with - I am so grateful for this forum and the support and guidance that each of you are providing!!!
I have been recently diagnosed with a relatively small AN and am still coming to terms with it. I have started looking into various treatment options and Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Friedman are the names mostly coming up for the surgery options.

Given Dr. Brackmann's age, I was surprised to know that he still does surgery. Has anyone had a recent surgery with Dr. Brackmann?  Could you share your experience. 

Same for Dr. Friedman.

Thanks!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Brackmann vs. Friedman
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:43 am »
Hi voyager and welcome to this forum .....

Although Dr. Brackmann is still listed on the House Clinic and St. Vincent's Hospital web sites, I am not sure he is actively doing surgery anymore.  Perhaps a recent House patient could tell us.

Dr. Rick Friedman is alive and well at USC and actively doing AN surgeries as a team with Dr. Steve Giannotta.  I am admittedly biased, but Dr. Friedman is not only a highly experienced AN surgeon, but also a terrific friend to all of his patients!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »
I was under Dr. B's knife about 5.5 years ago.  I haven't heard too many people come through here since saying they were patients of his, so Claire may be correct in the fact that he isn't doing them much anymore.  He'd be real close to 80 by now so not sure when these guys call it quits. 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

michellef08

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
I had Dr. Friedman (back when he was at House Clinic) with Dr. Schwartz perform my Middle Fossa surgery 2 years ago. Let me say - they were the dream team! They saved my hearing, and I didn't have any balance or facial issues.

I do believe Dr. Brackmann may still be performing surgeries, however he is getting older. A friend at the Washington DC support group keeps in touch with him, and I believe he quoted that Dr.House was still doing surgeries at an older age.

You should also look into Dr. Schwartz at House! In my opinion, he is a genius. In reading my surgery report, he had to come in from different angles, using different tools to remove my "sticky" tumor from my nerves, but I ended up with a perfect outcome!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to share my story!
~Michelle
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

voyager

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:14:40 am »
Thank you all for your feedback!

Circusnole

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 02:07:15 pm »
Check out Dr. Schwartz and Slattery at House Ear. They are a great team together!
2.1 cm AN removed (retrosig) by Drs. Schwartz and Slattery at HEI on 28 April 2015.
Walking on own 30 hrs later with no balance or vertigo issues at all.  Great team!