Author Topic: 3 weeks post op- amazing recovery  (Read 2410 times)

Circusnole

3 weeks post op- amazing recovery
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:44:06 am »
I recently (28 April) had retro sig surgery for removal of a 2.1 cm AN on my left side. I know everyone's surgery and recovery is different, but I wanted to share my recovery so anyone facing this surgery will know it IS possible to have the best outcome you can dream of. While I don't have any hearing in left ear, that is not that big of a deal. From the time I woke up in ICU, there were never any bed spins, balance issues, noting! I was moved into private room 24 hrs post op and was walking with very little help soon afterwards and walking on my own the next day. when my physical therapist first walked into my room, I stood up and walked over to shake his hand, much to his surprise. My surgery was on a Tuesday, ICU on Wednesday, private room on Thursday, and discharged on Friday. The rehab went so well, I was able to go home 4 days ahead of schedule (after my 1 week follow up).  I know not everyone has this outcome but wanted anyone facing this surgery and reading as much as I did (and everyone else does) to know that it is possible to have a great outcome. Fatigue still plays a small role, but you just have to learn to listen to your body and when it needs a rest, you will know it. Having a strong prayer group also helps! Here's hoping there can be more stories like mine!

Retrosigmoid 28 April, 2015
Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Slattery, Dr. Steffan
House Ear Institute / St. Vincents Hospital
2.1 cm AN removed (retrosig) by Drs. Schwartz and Slattery at HEI on 28 April 2015.
Walking on own 30 hrs later with no balance or vertigo issues at all.  Great team!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 3 weeks post op- amazing recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:28:12 am »
Hi Circusnole .....

Your story is just the kind of recovery we like to read!!  Congratulations on a job well-done.  I had Dr. Schwartz, as well, and he is amazing!  So glad you did your homework and had a good result.

Best wishes for a continuing excellent recovery.  DO listen to your body and rest when needed during these first weeks of recovery.

..... and yes, a strong prayer group certainly helps!

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011