Author Topic: Update on PHONAK CROSII  (Read 6259 times)

NYLady

Update on PHONAK CROSII
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:40:50 am »
I am about two and a half weeks into trial with PHONAK AudeoV70 and BICROSII.  So far, I have found this system to be truly amazing.  I am SSD in the right ear and have a 70% loss in my left.  Prior to this I had been wearing Siemens Pure, which were admittedly old (about 5 years).  Was told not to change aids till about 6 months post GK as hearing would likely change (which it did).  I have gone from almost silence to being able to be part of things again.  Not perfect yet, but we are working on getting it even better.  Audio says as the euphoria of hearing once again levels out, I will become more discriminating in the sounds I prefer or can tolerate.  Right now, they still seem a bit loud and there is some distortion.  He has given me "Speech in Noise" and "Comfort in Noise" features and will add others as warranted.  I am so delighted with what I have been given that I am encouraging all my friends who "have a hearing problem"  to at least explore hearing aids.  So many are reluctant.  Technology today has produced very small devices that deliver tremendous results.  It really is life changing.  Many times our hearing loss is so gradual that we do not even realize how bad it is.  Ross, if you read this, please share your latest experience with this system and how further adjustments have improved your results.  I am most interested in seeing just how far we can go in improvement.  Once again to Arizona Jack,  it is to you that I owe knowing anything about these aids in the first place and to the fact that my new audiologist was impressed that I requested them to try.  He told me, they would have been his recommendation as well.  He also mentioned Widex, but we did not explore that option.

Once again, thanks to this compassionate and generous forum for the knowledge, support and friendship you extend to all of us.

Best,
NYL

Echo

Re: Update on PHONAK CROSII
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:32:57 pm »
Hi NYLady,

I am not SSD, but I only had 20% word discrimination in my AN ear and my good ear was loosing high tones when I decided to purchase the Phonak Bi Cross.  I was thrilled with how much it improved my quality of life, especially in social situations and at work.   To help ease my transition into wearing hearing aids, my audiologist told me that she sets the sound volume on the hearing aid at 70% initially.  After I wore it for a few months, she increased the level to 80% and then again to 90% after another few months.  She found that if she sent people home with hearing aids set at full volume, they had a much more difficult time adjusting to the new sounds they were hearing.  If you ask your audiologist to lower the volume level it should help get rid of the distortion and help you adjust to all the new sounds you are hearing.  While we can raise and lower the volume on our remotes, the volume adjustment the audiologist makes is different.   

By the way, I found that for most situations, I really like the Comfort in Noise setting. It works wonders at work when the paging system is going and there a several people around me speaking.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

NYLady

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »
Hi Cathie,

Thanks for the feedback on your Phonak BiCros.  They are really something aren't they.  I do plan on asking the audiologist to reduce the volume a bit.  After having hardly any hearing, I think any sound is overwhelming for me.  I also like the Comfort in Noise and use it a lot.  I certainly agree with you that it has improved my Quality of Life....we are fortunate to live in this time of advancing technology.  I wish my Mom had had the benefit of this hearing aid system.  She lived to 96, and was totally deaf after continual worsening of her hearing as she aged.  She wore two humongous hearing aids (with earmolds) and she used to get so frustrated.  That was many years ago, and look how far we've come.  Kinda makes me wish I had more time in front of me than behind me just to see what's down the road.  Very best to you Cathie and thanks again.

ampeep

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:47 pm »
Good to hear that these hearing aids are working well for you.  Is there a different type of sound that is being transferred from the AN side?

My Dad just started wearing a hearing aid, & I can often hear really loud feed back when it's not seated properly.  He's been to back multiple times & it still doesn't really work well.
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

NYLady

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:02:24 am »
Hi Ampeep,

Yes, I have to say the Phonak Audeo combined with the CrosII really has been amazing for me.  Still getting used to hearing so much sound (my hearing was so terrible).  Matter of fact, going to Audio today for another adjustment.  Still a bit loud in certain circumstances, but so wonderful.  You know, my Mom used to have a lot of feedback with her aids.  She had the old earmolds.  Her audio tried new earmolds because he said poor fit sometimes causes that feedback, or if they are not inserted properly.  She got new molds and sure enough, feedback was gone.  If Dad is using domes, maybe a different size would help or making sure he has them in properly.  As we get older (I am 74) our ears change (e.g. weight loss, etc).  What fit a year ago may not now.  Also, with domes there is a small plastic piece that can be put on which holds the aids in place...not uncomfortable at all, I have them.  This will help when he speaks or chews as the ear fit changes with these motions as well.  No space, no feedback is what my audio says.  Worth a shot.  I can honestly say, there is absolutely no feedback with my new hearing aids.  I wish the same for your Dad (and to all of you who are around him).  Bless you folks who have to interact with us on a daily basis.  I know how much patience it takes.  Best to you Ampeep and to your Dad as well.

NYL

ampeep

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:50:06 pm »
Hi NYLady,

Must be nice to hear all of the things that you've been missing!

My Dad originally had the domes; they didn't work very well so he recently got ear molds.  When I heard that feedback, I thought that the amplification level must be really high.  The only times I had dealt with feedback was with public address systems & amps for acoustic-electric guitars.

Thanks for your thoughts!
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms