Author Topic: FSR vs GK/CK  (Read 5763 times)

jvastola

FSR vs GK/CK
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:08:57 am »
I'm a little confused here.  My Doc does Stereotactic Radiation Therapy, I think this is just a more generic trem for GK but I'm not sure.  Is this a third option to GK/CK? or is it just a more descriptive term for the process.

thanks
Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

Dealy

Re: FSR vs GK/CK
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:29:33 am »
FSR is Fractionated radiation over 5 too 25 sessions with an accuracy of 1 to 2 CM's. The idea by some institutiions was that they did not like the outcome of Gamma Knife and the one shot protocol. GK is more precise but articles I have read have stated that it can do more damage to nerves over time than FSR because of the one shot dose. Institutions who specialize in GK argue that FSR does not give enough of a dose to kill the tumor. I do not know that much about Cyberknife. All three are different because of their dosage and protocol of usage. I avoided GK at Midwest Gamma Knife because they had only treated 100 cases of AN's while Johns Hopkins have done over 400 including NF2's which I am. One must not only research the procedure and protocol used by each institution-but their expertise and rate of tumor control. I felt JHH had a better procedure and track record. That does not mean they are 100%-just more experience. One guy told me from Las Vegas-his wife had FSR 5 years ago and retained her hearing-that one sould not make a choice based on convience but expertise. That swayed me right there. All have their merits and drawbacks. The choice is yours. Thanks -Ron.

BevM

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:20:56 am »
I am currently in treatment for AN with Cyberknife. One down and three to go in the next two days.  I did ask the question regarding the different equipment and was told that some are fractionated such as Cyberknife in order to reduce exposure to surrounding tissue.  It is also frameless so you do not have a "halo" attached by screws to your head. The CK robot adjusts to your movements ( which desirably should be minimal)  My first treatment was 40 minutes and went quite well.  I am so impressed with Stanford that I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Best wishes to you.

Bev

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:22:52 pm »
another post CK patient here... and doing great.  Waiting on first post treat MRI that will show the necrosis. All of my symptoms of treatment are gone and I'm just doing great.

Dealy/Ron notes a terrific outline of what FSR means and thanks for sharing that.

jvastola, please note that GK is typically not fractionated... typically, one dose only. Have heard of fractionated GK but it requires hosptial stay and metal frame to stay attached for the duration......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"