Author Topic: Tinnitus changing pitch  (Read 15546 times)

ANGuy

Re: Tinnitus changing pitch
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »
Autism increased because they changed the definition of autism and Federal money flowed into education for students who were classified as having it. 

If they change the definition of AN and hand out money for it, AN's will skyrocket as well.

Autism showed an apparently-increased incidence in the UK where I live yet no additional money had flowed into our education system. (we don't yet do federal although Europe might like us to be part of that federation  ;) )  There's still a dearth of special needs provision in the UK for autistic kids and others with different learning difficulties. 

The provision of appropriate funding remains a pipe dream.

What they did here was to decide that every child that isn't exactly the same as every other child is now autistic.  Some of those kids are truly autistic.  Other kids have some special need that is not, IMO, truly autism.  But, they made everything "autism" since that is where the money is.  Most of the kids, IMO, are actually perfectly normal and there is nothing "wrong" with them.  Since a kid who is perfectly normal, but not getting straight A' in all of their classes doesn't seem to satisfy the schools and their endless lust for public funding, or the parent's who don't want to accept that their kid is just average intelligence or maybe just not that fascinated with school to engage their studies enough to get perfect scores on everything they do, you see them all "diagnosed" with autism.

It used to "ADHD", then it was "autism", and I've noticed lately that many are now classified as both.  It's a real mess with no end in sight.  When I think back about all of the kids in my class when I was growing up, including me, and ponder what these experts would have done with them if they had the chance back then, it blows my mind.

Bill Gates never graduated college, many of our greatest leaders were brawlers and drop-outs, even involved in criminal activity.  Now, anybody like that is classified as "something", medicated and/or put in special programs that all but ensure they will never accel at much of anything.

My buddy's daughter is a great example.  She is brilliant, but socially and physically awkward.  He's very sensitive about it, so I don't know what name had been assigned to her "condition" because I never wanted to ask him about it directly, but I know she was considered something along the "autism spectrum".  Come to find out, that a different medical Dr (as opposed to the school psychologists etc) just sent her for an MRI which revealed some type of cysts on her brain.  All of these years with special this and that to teach her how to be "autistic" and she has had a serious brain tumor condition that she could have died from if it weren't for them finally getting to the right professional that actually knows a thing or two about what he is doing.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

keithmac

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 02:02:00 am »
Acoustic neuromas will still be a relatively rare condition, I think. Compared to rates of heart attack (1.5 million per year in the US), strokes (130,000/year in the US), new breast cancers (60,000 last year in the US), there are about 3,000 new acoustic neuromas diagnosed in the US per year.  Compared to the patients my family doctor sees every day, and even the patients my ENT sees every day, my case remains relatively unusual. My ENT even told me, when ordering the MRI, that it was a long shot, but he wanted to rule out anything serious. We were all surprised by the results.

And I don't think my opthalmologist will see that many acoustic neuroma patients in a year, but I forwarded the study to him anyway. And who knows? Maybe acoustic neuromas will have increased attention and diagnosis the way autism did, although I still think heart disease and various cancers will still be the major cause for public health concern.

How rare is rare?  Compared with the illnesses you've mentioned they are rare but that doesn't mean they're as rare as often is suggested.  Time will tell just what the 'normal' level is.

Well I said "relatively rare" so I meant "relative to the rest of the doctor's practice, it's rare." I even pointed out how uncommon it is for AN to be as devastating as heart disease and cancer, and I for one feel very lucky that I have an essentially survivable condition, even if I do have extreme side effects and have a 50% chance of going deaf in my lifetime. At least my lifetime is another 50-60 years. Hope that cleared things up more than the other two posts I made on the subject, because I'm not really going to defend my word choices endlessly, especially since you keep bringing up an issue that's really off topic for this thread. If you want to talk about AN rates and diagnosis, might I humbly suggest you start a new thread?

As for being off-topic you introduced statistics to support your argument - I was only making an observation.  I have no interest in talking about the incidence and diagnosis of acoustic neuromas.  We've both become side-tracked from the subject of this thread, that of tinnitus changing pitch. I'm stopping.   :)

keithmac

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:32 am »
Autism increased because they changed the definition of autism and Federal money flowed into education for students who were classified as having it. 

If they change the definition of AN and hand out money for it, AN's will skyrocket as well.

Autism showed an apparently-increased incidence in the UK where I live yet no additional money had flowed into our education system. (we don't yet do federal although Europe might like us to be part of that federation  ;) )  There's still a dearth of special needs provision in the UK for autistic kids and others with different learning difficulties. 

What they did here was to decide that every child that isn't exactly the same as every other child is now autistic.  Some of those kids are truly autistic.  Other kids have some special need that is not, IMO, truly autism.  But, they made eve...........ve died from if it weren't for them finally getting to the right professional that actually knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

It would be an interesting debate to have with you but as mar points out this is not the place.   :)

ANGuy

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 02:09:32 pm »

What they did here was to decide that every child that isn't exactly the same as every other child is now autistic.  Some of those kids are truly autistic.  Other kids have some special need that is not, IMO, truly autism.  But, they made eve...........ve died from if it weren't for them finally getting to the right professional that actually knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

It would be an interesting debate to have with you but as mar points out this is not the place.   :)

You are correct.  I definitely got off-track not only for this thread, but for the whole board in general.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

mar

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »
I was giving statistics in response to your attack on me for calling this condition relatively rare.

I can see now that support is really only meant for "certain" people who have acoustic neuromas. Well, don't worry, I won't bother with you or your thread hijacking anymore. I came to you people for help, and I got a half dozen posts about autism instead. So thanks for that.

keithmac

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 03:21:35 pm »
I was giving statistics in response to your attack on me for calling this condition relatively rare.

I can see now that support is really only meant for "certain" people who have acoustic neuromas. Well, don't worry, I won't bother with you or your thread hijacking anymore. I came to you people for help, and I got a half dozen posts about autism instead. So thanks for that.

my attack on you?  You certainly do need help but I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was saying.  mea culpa - I'm leaving this thread.

Bzmonster

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:49 am »
I also have the same problem tinnitus in my deaf ear that changes pitch.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »
Hi all,

Well, was hoping this thread would stay on topic and helpful and yet... it took a slight turn.

We remind everyone that we ARE watching closely and hope that you all can respectfully discuss the topic at hand, which is "Tinnitus Changing Pitch," in which I can certainly relate, as many do. 

Mine it typically high-pitch monotone... and yet, I have had pulsating tinnitus (especially when stressed) and have even heard "crickets."

Also want to say "welcome" to Bzmonster.

So, let's keep this on topic, as I know this is an important topic that many can learn.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"