Author Topic: Post-op paralyzed dry eye suggestions  (Read 3239 times)

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Post-op paralyzed dry eye suggestions
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:34 pm »
 I have a gold weight implant in my right eyelid. It doesn't assist with blinking, but it does help pull that eyelid closed at night and when I want to close my eye, especially during an MRI. I still have to put lubricating drops in my eye (I use Genteal liquid gel drops) at night and wear the Dreamweaver eye mask to sleep. I was fitted for a Prose device (http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE-treatment/About-PROSE). It's a scleral lense (much like a contact lense, but larger, with a well that holds the lubricating saline inside the lens center) that protects my cornea. I put it in in the morning and take it out before bed (which is why I don't use the thicker overnight ointments anymore. The ointments left a goopy mess in my eye that made it difficult to see through the prose lens. The thick ointment would get trapped by the lens and I'd have to remove it to clean it.) The lens has been a life changer and I am thankful my opthalmologist suggested it. It took a few trips to the closest medical center that offers the device but it was covered by my insurance because it is considered a prosthetic. They will check your insurance before they begin the fitting process. They custom fit the device to your eye. Before Prose, my eyes were dry and scratchy causing me to use lubricants all day. Even with the lubricants, I would scratch my cornea and would have to go to my opthalmologist. One month saw 7 trips to the eye doctor. 
I also clean my lids with OcuSoft Lid Scrub Pro every morning before I insert the lens. It helps clean my eyelids of the goopy lubricant that has dried on my lid overnight. Obviously check first with your eye care professional before trying any of this, but it has worked for me.
 ::)
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder