Author Topic: Does change in weather affect your balance?  (Read 16381 times)

NYLady

Does change in weather affect your balance?
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Does anyone experience increased balance symptoms when the weather changes?  I have been noticing that when the weather is going to bring us either rain or snow, sometime prior to that, about a day, my balance symptoms definitely are worse. Coincidence?  Those around me seem to think there is no connection, but I am not so sure.  We have had a bugger of a winter here on Long Island and I was wondering if maybe I have got a little cabin fever and I am imagining this.

Comments???? 

Best to all,
NYL

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Does change in weather affect your balance?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
Does anyone experience increased balance symptoms when the weather changes?  I have been noticing that when the weather is going to bring us either rain or snow, sometime prior to that, about a day, my balance symptoms definitely are worse.

Wouldn't surprise me. Weather has all sorts of effects on the human body. Check out the search results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=weather%27s+effect+on+the+human+body
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

ewhitese

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 06:36:15 pm »
Ya....  :o the weather really messes with my head now that I have had GK surgery.  Hi to low pressure but low to hi pressure really gets me.  I mostly get headache pressure over my right eye (side of my AN).  Yes balance goes too, but I am not sure if it is weather or the headache doing that.

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:44:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies.....

Jack, I did Google the subject, and as you said lots of info on how weather affects the body and vestibular symptoms.
EWhitese....Looks like I'm not the only one.

Here's to better days....and better weather ahead.

NYL

SueLL

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
Is there anything to do to relieve the pressure?  A front is moving through today and it feels as though my head will explode!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

Ruthie Mac

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »
I have a harder time with balance when the barometric pressure is low. Usually just before a storm is the worst - once it starts raining or snowing it improves. I find that taking a decongestant (Advil cold & sinus is my favorite) helps a lot.
I wonder if it will ever stop snowing this year in New England??!!
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

Echo

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »
Absolutely weather can have an effect on us!  I have increased head pressure and balance issues that become more prevalent with weather system changes and the changing of the seasons.  For the really wonky days, I like Advil Extra Strength, it works best for me and usually just one pill will do the trick!

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

NYLady

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!  I really do believe weather impacts our symptoms.  I have not tried taking any of the meds you have suggested...but I will. 

Ruthie, while we have had a beast of a winter here on LI, nothing compared to New England.  Flowers and green buds are hopefully around the corner...hang in.  Best to all and thanks again for your input.

NYL

MG

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:12 am »
Yes! I am on W&W and the pressure gets much worse if a front is moving in. I am on W&W 2 years now and the weather fronts have always made my ear feel very full and hurt.

MG (Cathy)
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

ANGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 02:56:28 pm »
The weather makes no difference in my symptoms.  Nothing seems to.  My symptoms come and go and nearly all my time is symptom free aside from tinnitus which never seems to take a day off.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

MG

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:35:12 pm »
I also take Advil Gel caps every day for my pain and fullness. They work fast. :)

I hope they help you NYLady.

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Mickey

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »
Hi NY Lady! Its been one heck of a NY winter....  Weather, Change of seasons, Allergies, are all a big factor in my W+W AN experience...  W+W for close to 8 years now I kind of got it figured out? I think....haha.  Long as my ANs stable I`m happy and feeling pretty good.  Best wishes, Mickey

NYLady

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:54 am »
Mickey, Mickey....  Have you looked out your window this morning?  Guess what's going on?  Expecting another 4 inches of that white stuff today....Yuk.

I know Roland and Golfinos are your doctors as well as mine, and I just think they are wonderful.  Congratulations on your W & W status for eight years.  I wish I could have done that, but my AN grew too fast.  Dr. G said best to do GK soon as possible because of growth rate.  Have complete confidence in both of these amazing doctors.  Yes, I have lost most of the hearing in my AN ear, but I was told this would happen even if I did nothing because of the location of the AN (cochlea).  Maybe our paths will cross in their office one day......

Best to you...and continued success with W  W.

NYL