Author Topic: Hearing Question  (Read 2157 times)

BigBob826

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Hearing Question
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »
I was just told what I have yesterday. I'm learning more today. I have almost complete loss of hearing in my right ear. I've had tinnitus forever... Is it possible for hearing to improve after surgery? Thanks

This is what my MRI showed. There is a 2.6 x 1.9 x 1.9 cm T2 hyperintense dumbbell shaped mass arising from the right internal auditory canal which extends through the porous acusticus and indents along the lateral aspect of the right middle cerebellar peduncle. The mass uniformly enhances on the post contrast portion of the examination. Right-sided acoustic neuroma which indents on the middle cerebellar peduncle. 
Just diagnosed 2/25/15. Here to learn. I was told mine was medium size. Very little hearing in the right ear. There is a 2.6 x 1.9 x 1.9 cm T2 hyperintense dumbbell shaped mass

arizonajack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1139
  • Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Hearing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:47 pm »
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of.

It's highly unlikely that you'll recover any hearing after surgery or radiation (whichever you choose). It's extremely rare for that to happen although a couple of our members have had that experience.

I, on the other hand, have not. My diagnosis is almost the same as yours except that my tumor was only about half the size of yours when I was diagnosed and I had already lost 90% of my hearing in that ear and the remaining 10% went bye bye within the next few months.

It's possible, however, that you might get some relief from the tinnitus after treatment. I had mild tinnitus in the AN ear prior to Gamma Knife and that pretty much disappeared since then.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

BigBob826

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: Hearing Question
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
thank you sir... I just read your thread. Very interesting. Now I need to lose 70 lbs...
Just diagnosed 2/25/15. Here to learn. I was told mine was medium size. Very little hearing in the right ear. There is a 2.6 x 1.9 x 1.9 cm T2 hyperintense dumbbell shaped mass

arizonajack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1139
  • Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Hearing Question
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:38:47 pm »
Now I need to lose 70 lbs...

Here's how:

Keep a written log of everything you eat throughout the day (or not) including portion size. Be brutally honest about what you write down. Look up the calories at www.calorieking.com and write that down. Once you figure out how much you are eating you'll be able to figure out how much less you should be eating.

If you are 70 lbs overweight I can almost guarantee that you are eating 2000 to 3000 calories a day (I was). If you are active, cut it back to about 1500 calories a day. If you are sedentary, cut it back to about 1000 to 1200 calories per day. You'll see immediate results. I lost 18 lbs the first month and averaged 5 to 10 lbs per month after that.

Commit yourself to keeping the log forever. I'm still doing it.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

 


anything