Author Topic: 1 year post op follow up with Dr. Sisti  (Read 2488 times)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
1 year post op follow up with Dr. Sisti
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »
I am one of the lucky one who had 3.2 cm X 3.2cm Acoustic Neuroma (with lot of minor symptoms and 50% hearing left), which was repaired or fine tuned by Dr. Micheal Sisti@ Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, NY. in January, 2014. Dimensions after retrosigmoid surgery approach were 1.3 X 1.5 cm X 1.9cm with no facial issues and preserved "leftover" hearing. I felt at the top of the world with outcome and was really grateful to this magician surgeon. He although warned me (after surgery) that I may need "Gamma treatment" down the road. Today, I went back for 1 year follow-up and was told that my remaining tumor didn't grow at all!  He also inquired about my symptoms (even minor), I answered that I feel 'incremental improvements' everyday till today. He said, I do not need any Gamma treatment as of right now but may need in future (<10 years). He also said that he does not go by scans alone rather go with symptoms and doesn't perform any prophylactic surgery. He wished me all the best and said enjoy your hearing and see him back in January 2016 for next follow-up. :)
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

LakeErie

Re: 1 year post op follow up with Dr. Sisti
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
Congratulations on your successful one year scan. I, like you, had a subtotal removal, but mine was 95% to 97% of the tumor. My surgeon told me it was likely I would need gamma at some point in the future, but there was the possibility I would not. My residual tumor was stable at one year, at two and a half years remained that way. My next scan is set for the 4 year mark.
House recently published a paper on follow ups on subtotal removals. The study compared complete removals with near total and subtotal removals and concluded the regrowth rates were substantially higher for incomplete removals versus complete, but that the need for actual re-treatment was "infrequent." Followed for up to 5 years, there was regrowth of 21% and 22% in the incomplete removals but re-treatment was required in 2% and 10% for near total and subtotal removals respectively.
Regrowth itself does not necessarily mean we require further treatment immediately. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: 1 year post op follow up with Dr. Sisti
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:50 am »
Thanks Lake Erie for that informative post.
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.