Author Topic: Five Days after Eyelid Implant  (Read 5018 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Five Days after Eyelid Implant
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:52:43 pm »
For anyone thinking of getting an eyelid implant, here's my update:

It's five days after getting my eyelid implant and the swelling is down about 50%, it would probably be better if I continued to put ice packs on it on Day 3.  As of yesterday, I have a fully operating eyelid despite my facial paralysis, and I can close my eye!  I am finding that a tiny bit of ointment in the morning and at night before bed is all I need.  Before the implant and lower lid tightening the ointment just poured out of my eye, so I was going through a ton of it, but now my lower lid is capable of holding the ointment inside the eye. 

I LOVE my implant.  My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner. 

On Thursday I get the stitches out, so I'll report again at that time. 
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

michelej

Re: Five Days after Eyelid Implant
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
 I am so happy for you. Fixing an eye makes so much difference. My eyelid worked fine after my surgery but I have no tears so I finally six months later got plugs in my tear ducts so the tears (which I dont have any of) will stay in my eye longer and make my eye less dry. It is actually working... so far so good. I have to use way less ointment. I hope you feel better every day. Good luck. Michele

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:45:03 pm »
Hi Michele:

You know someone recently posted that there seemed to be a lot of police or other first responders in the forum, but what about women named Michelle?  I think there are three of us that are actively posting right now.  I rarely meet other Michelle's so it's funny.

I had my stitches from my eyelid out today and the doc told me the weight slid upwards a bit so now that the swelling is down, my eye is not closing very well but I'm going to give it some time.  I am hoping something--anything, will happen to my paralyzed face any day now, but so far not a tingle.  Anyway, I'm hopeful and being able to almost close my eye is lovely.

I saw my disability attorney today and he's filing my appeal with new evidence from my medical team that my recovery is not going so well.  He told me my state of Utah, is particularly terrible about it's citizenry using federal dollars, so he said to be prepared that the reconsideration will be negative.  He said cases usually have to get to the court hearing before judgements are reversed, and that will probably take another 18 months. 

What a ridiculous system.  In the meantime, something happened to me yesterday, plus I had a pretty bad fall, that solidified my suspicion that I will not be able to reopen my wholesale bakery at the start of our tourist season on March 1.  I am going to email my customers the official news tomorrow and I bet church bells will sound at the disappointing news:  I live in such a tiny town that the perks are few and seldom and I'm afraid my Patisserie will be missed.  I will miss making them as well...

I guess 2015 will be about healing, and being broke.

Thanks for all of the encouragement and hope everyone!

Love,
Michelle
"Mimispree"
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:44:11 am »
Wish I could say or do something to take away your hurting....

So sorry to hear of your fall.  Had one myself a few months back.  Still feeling the effects, so yes, we do need to have a lot of patience.  You are a patient fighter and that's a powerful combination.  I am sure everyone who enjoys what you make will sorely miss the delicious treats for awhile.  If I could, I would be the first in line when they return.

Dealing with the system is a real trial.  I think their goal is for people to give up because of frustration. Try not to be discouraged and keep pushing forward.  We are here for you....

Best always,
NYL

evestew1

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:33 am »
Hi Mimispree,
Wondering how your eyelid implant is working out?  I am going for consultation with opthamalic surgeon this week to learn more about getting a weight or possibly scleral lense.  Would love to hear more about your experience.  And I hope things are going easier for you these days :) I've been following your posts and am looking forward to the day when you start seeing some facial movement!
Eve
Translab surgery 2/2/15 to remove 3 cm AN;  SSD and facial paralysis