Author Topic: Had the Gold Weight Eyelid Implant Yesterday  (Read 6968 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Had the Gold Weight Eyelid Implant Yesterday
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:45:10 pm »
Two days ago I had a 1.2 gold weight implanted in my right eye and two stitches to tighten my lower lid.  It took a couple of hours in surgery and post-surgery wasn't easy because my heart rate wouldn't calm down, but it's over and today is all about changing my icy gauze eye pad every ten minutes. 

It's hard to see what I look like because my eye is swollen shut and bruised.  But I remember how great it felt to try-on the different eyelid weights and being able to close my eye, so I'm okay with chillin' with my pets and keeping something cold on my eye. 

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to get the implant. 

I am also excited to be seeing my Salt Lake City (SLC) surgical team for the first time since my July 31 surgery in March.  I will be having four-hours of balance testing and seeing both of my surgeons.  I am hoping they well be able to tell me if my balance will get better and if my facial paralysis will improve.  I was hoping I would have some movement or "tone" by now, but I have learned from this post that it could take two years.  Our local PT, who comes to our tiny town twice a week is going to work with the SLC therapists to help me improve my balance and constant dizziness. 

I've been reading many posts about people who have constant dizziness and I can say I'm one of you.  I had a Trigeminal Neuroma and didn't have any hearing loss just fullness, but I did have Trigeminal Neuralgia pain (which was awful) for almost a year before my surgery and I was beginning to fall-down a bit.  Everyone was telling me it was a sinus infection, or a deep root-canal infection, but after two rounds of antibiotic my tiny clinic's NP told me to get an MRI because I didn't have an infection. 

The MRI showed that my tumor was compressing my brain stem and that explained why I was having trouble with swallowing and the changes in my heartbeat.  Some of those problems have lessened, but the dizziness is my main issue and it makes me so exhausted.  Because of the dizziness I am not able to reopen my small seasonal business next month.  I'm scared to death (and I'm pissed), but I can't fight this, I can only accept it and do what I can to make it better. 

I do know that patience is what life is all about these days, so I'm expecting to get a Master's degree in patience after this.

Thank you to everyone for being here and allowing me to vent.

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

NYLady

Re: Had the Gold Weight Eyelid Implant Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Glad to hear your eye surgery went well.  Once all the soreness is past, you are sure to notice an improvement.

You are certainly right about patience!  As Clarice mentioned in one of her posts, we all want it better and NOW!!  Of course we also realize that is not how this journey goes.  Some ups and some downs.  Chillin with your pets sounds great.  Used to have a golden retriever that was a real love, but where we are living now, we cannot have pets.  Sure do miss him and the comfort  of a warm furry friend.  They always seem to know when you need them most.  Hang in there brave lady. One day at a time.  Lets enjoy the good ones and get through the not so good ones as best we can.

Best to you,
NYL

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:37:53 pm »
Yup, I truly appreciate you and Clarice and the many other loving people on this forum. 

I'm a believer that things will improve because they HAVE to.

Sorry about your Golden Retriever:  If I were Queen everyone could have pets anywhere, and get a tax break!
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Good to see you posting again, can't be easy with the eyelid implant so recent.  Had no idea it would take 2 hours to do.   Looking forward to reading how it has helped once the bruising and swelling goes down.

Hopefully your doctors can help you with the dizziness issues, that must really suck, thankfully I only had one really bad day of that, can't imagine dealing with it all the time.

What kind of business did you do and will do again next year when you are doing much better?

You don't like not being able to do things while you recover but I'm sure your pets like spending time helping you heal.  I have 2 dogs and they help me in so many ways, cuddle when I don't feel good and make me take them for a walk whether I want to or not. 

Along with your Master's Degree in Patience you will also deserve a Master's Degree in Understanding :D :D & Compassion for others!

Take Care Jill :D

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »
Thanks Jill Marie:

I am the village baker.  I provide the markets and restaurants with their baked goods & gourmet sandwiches and salads.  I live in Escalante, Utah in the middle of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.  It's a hiking and fly fishing paradise.  I moved here three years ago with my husband Ed so he could retire, restore our 100-year old pioneer home and I could start a bakery.

We lived the dream for two years and then I had my surgery in July 2014.

Before this I was a director of operations for large nightclubs/restaurants in California and Pittsburgh, PA.  Going from the best of the nightlife scene to a town of 800 in southern Utah that has absolutely no nightlife is WONDERFUL.  I love this town and everyone treated us like family since my surgery; it's been a life-changing event in a very lovely way.

I think today is going to be another day with an ice pack on my eye, but I can BLINK today and that is FANTASTIC!

W

Jill Marie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:31 pm »
Michelle,

I've just added Escalante, Utah to my list of must see places as soon as I retire, hubby retires this year, I'm 4 years behind him.  We're not waiting for the full Social Security benefit, were heading out on retirement and fun at 62.  I've never heard of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, will check it out on the net.  Both my husband and youngest son would love it as they both like to hike and do some fly fishing.  Our youngest is stationed in Colorado Springs which is 9 hours away, will tell him to check it out. 

Not only are you missing out on working but doing something it sounds like you love to do, the markets and restaurants will surely miss you and your baked goods and gourmet items. 

Glad to hear you can blink again, hope things keep getting better for you.  Jill   
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

NYLady

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:03:53 am »
Mimi,

So glad to hear your eye is improved.  You are truly an inspiration.  This morning when I was wobbling to make coffee, I thought of you gardening and walking your dogs.  If you could get to the store in town and back with your balance issues, I sure as heck could make a cup of coffee!  Tried doing what Clarice suggested, the walking in the hallway bit and will continue that exercise in the hope it helps.  Hoping when I visit my surgeon in April, he will prescribe vestibular therapy.

Sure sounds like you live in Gods Country.  What a gift to look at that scenery each day.  NY has its own lovely places, especially here near the beaches and Long Island Sound.  But mountains and canyons are something extra special. 

Keep up the good work.  Stay positive.  Wishing you continued healing and peace....

NYL

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:44:12 am »
I tried doing the exercises Clarice suggested and I have to say, it's hard! 

I'm glad you made your wonky-head coffee.  When I tried to make tea shortly after my surgery, it either had too much Stevia or none at all.  I could never remember if I put it in or not.  Today I can make a pretty good cuppa.

The last time I was on Long Island, the Boar's Head company took me on a private tour of NYC & Long Island delis:  It was my dream vacation!

I was going to open a deli here this season (March), but it's out-of-the-question, so I'm hoping for 2016.  I've opened a few great delis and it's my favorite type of food service because it's fresh & creative:  I mix California cuisine with a good Jewish deli and a French Charcuterie.  Darn, now I'm hungry.

Keep up the good & necessary work.  It gets daunting, but that's why we're all in touch so we can spur each other onward, even if we bump into walls and counters.

Love,
Michelle

ANGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:43:56 pm »
I'd give my left ear for a kasha knish with lots of brown mustard and a bottle of Celray...
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.