Author Topic: This is Funny!  (Read 3924 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
This is Funny!
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:37:17 pm »
I just got a call and that my eyelid implant surgery was authorized for Monday. 

It was initially denied because it was categorized as "Cosmetic Surgery" by the first insurance clerk.  However, my surgeon's fantastic staff called a high-level mucky-muck and pleaded that it is in no way cosmetic surgery. 

When he called them back, he said it was denied because it was the first clerk never heard of a gold eyelid weight and he thought it was something like a gold grill the rappers get for their teeth.  So he thought it was eyelid-bling, and therefor cosmetic!

I thought that was the funniest thing and I had to share it with all of you.

Thank you for your ever-present support!  :-*
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

ANGuy

Re: This is Funny!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:25 pm »
Just a thought, but maybe he could suture it on the outside of the skin so it would be visible.  Then, not only would you be on the cutting edge of fashion making a new trend, but you'd be doing exactly what the insurance company didn't want you to do.

It is funny enough as is though. ;D
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

NYLady

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:09:41 pm »
Wow!  You just cannot make up stuff like this! 

I am so happy for you that it all turned out well and you can move ahead with your procedure.  Just goes to show sometimes you have to take that extra step and not settle for a "no".   Usually doctors' offices are expert in this type of appeal process and it is always best to work with them and let them deal with insurance companies.  Sounds like you have a great team.  Good luck on Monday....thoughts and prayers will be with you.

NYL

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:56:08 pm »
Unreal isn't it?? Sure can't make that up!! Now that's a first!!
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:14 pm »
Michelle,

Really glad you straightened out the insurance co., never forget that's part of our job now.  We have to help them think outside the box.  Sometimes our doctors office can do the insurance work for us, sometimes we have to do it ourselves, most of the time it seems we work on it together.  If I find someone at the office or with the insurance co that doesn't seem to want to help I find someone else who does.  I try to find someone that wants to make a difference, help change insurance policy,  not just do the same old thing everyday. 

Thanks for the laugh!  Hope all goes well Monday, let us know when you feel like posting.  Jill Marie :)

By the way, love your "Sense of humor intact" - that's a key ingredient to getting through this!
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.