Author Topic: pain issues  (Read 2582 times)

Warr76

pain issues
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:08 am »
Good morning!
i'm looking for more info and help with head pain.  I am getting reallly bad headaches and am dependent on my advil and tylenol besides my new Gabapentin that I started a couple of weeks ago.(  I feel like I am going backwards.)
I take the 2Gabapentin 3 times a day and I still get bad pain if I don't keep up with the Advil and Tylenol. I have read the posts about the backlash of the Advil and Tylenol so I am looking for alternatives.
The pain was so bad this am that I took an Oxycodone. ( I did this yesterday but I thought the pain was because I tried to stop a sneeze. Yikes) I have not taken oxycodone at all for the past 10 days except for yesterday.
   I am almost 11 weeks out for my retrosig surgery, I go back at twelve weeks for my MRI followup and checkup.
  My oxy has finally kicked in this morning.  Now I can see how people get hooked on it.

This is so frustrating as when the docs asked me in the beginning if I got headaches, which I never have, and now this. They recommended the retrosigmoid surgery because of that.
To me these are not headaches but major head pain that I cannot even describe...
Please someone tell me that it goes away eventually. :-)
I can get through it, just praying that it gets better!

1 cm right side, removed 11/10/14 retrosigmoid surgery at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Mn.
Dr. Link and Dr Carlson and Dr. Hughes

:D

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: pain issues
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »
Gabapentin was great at first for the Trigeminal Neuralgia, but stopped helping me with the pain after two or three weeks.  I was then given Carbamazepine which worked better but both made me feel loopy and I hated that.  I hate Oxy and now I only take a low dose of Hydrocodone maybe once a day or once every few days, depending upon my activity level.  I recognize the Hydrocodone is very similar to the Oxy, but my body deals very differently to each and I'm not fighting it.  Very rarely do I need a Hydrocodone more than once a day and if I do, I lie down for an hour or two first and then take a second if needed.  I am counting on all of this pain, or head pressure I call it going away one day. 

I keep reading that patience is the way to go after surgery.  I hope it gets better for you soon however.

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.