Author Topic: Diagnosis from hospital stay  (Read 8122 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Diagnosis from hospital stay
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:26:46 pm »
Finally, after almost a month I got the official diagnosis from when my face dropped!  I have Malaise (creeping crud) and bouts of Bells Palsy.  Now I am having more tests run to find out what is causing the malaise.  It is usually from some kind of underlying infection.  It can be a secondary disease from diabetes, liver stuff, Aides, kidney malfunctions, all kinds of stuff.  I have been tested for the most serious and it all comes back good so that is a relief.  It also causes weight gain.  That must be why I feel like they forgot me in the fluffing machine at the Build A Bear Factory!  I had to get my driver's license renewed today and this time they put a restriction on it saying I can't drive at night, or in stormy weather or without side mirrors and this gadget they are going to send me.  Sounds like a kind of radar detector.  First time I couldn't pass the eye exam without my glasses.  What a bummer.  Not nearly so cute with them.  My Mom always told me I had creeping crud, I'll bet she is in Heaven saying, "I told you so!"
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

Re: Diagnosis from hospital stay
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:10:59 pm »
OH my sounds like too much!  How come the restrictions on your license?  I've had the eye glass one for years but know I can't safely drive at night but still do if I have too! 

matti

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:54:14 pm »
I am curious about the driving restriction, Did your doctor notify DMV?  I can't drive at night either.

When I was a kid, my mother used to tell me I would get creeping crud. For some reason there was alot of talk about it in the early 60's.

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time, keeping you in my prayers.

Take care,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Brendalu

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:11:20 am »
The DMV was notified after I became SSD.  They got reports for one year from the doctors and the testing.  When I had my EEG, it was seven day at home thing and they put a computer on my head.  (Very good Halloween costume)  It registered seizures and things like that.  Whenever I drove at night and bright lights came at me or behind me it caused the readings to register big problems.  I thought it was panic attacks.  I would rather not drive at night and keep others safe.  They are also notified here if you can't turn your head  fully to both sides and or lose a limb or your sight.  You also have to fill out a form about medical conditions like dizziness and balance.  I'm just very thankful I got to renew it at all.  I'll let you know if they find out what caused the continuing "creeping crud". Yuck.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Laura

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:29:27 am »
Brendaalu - bless you heart. When it rains it pours! You are being very positive about the whole thing, you are a trooper!

What state do you reside? I've never heard of a DMV being so withit!
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Brendalu

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 06:39:02 am »
Laura,
I live in Texas.  I don't think it is necessarily the State that is with it, I think it is the doctors.  With so many malpratice suits and the cost of insurance they really can't afford to have someone get them for not advising the DMV when someone shouldn't be driving or at the very least driving with restrictions.  My PCP told me that when you have seizures you have to go six months documented with meds before you can try to get your driving privilages back.  Driving is a privialage, not a right.  My Mom always told me that when I had health issues that just meant that someone not so strong wasn't having them.  I'd rather it be me than one of my kids or grandkids or my husband any day.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:50:29 am »
Brenda, a restriction applies due to the seizures, not SSD per se, right?   I know that "Do you have seizures?" is an item one must check and sign for on the license renewal (in Texas at least). 

I remember the day my opthamologist checked the box that says "needs correction for driving".  Somewhere around age 52,  ;).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:54:50 am by Boppie »

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 12:36:52 pm »
Boppie,
Some of the restrictions are because of the SSD.  The other ones are because of the balance and dizziness.  I guess it all depends what your doctor reports. I don't have seizures, yet.  Thank God for that one.  I have an appointment Monday for the Trans Ear consulting.  I'm excited to hear that yours is in the works!  Thanks to your husband for giving me the proper wording for my insurance company!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 12:37:38 pm »
Brenda, I'm glad you are getting some help with your help issues. I still don't understand "malaise" as a medical term, though--too many French lessons I guess. Is it related to depression? Hope you feel better soon.
Smooches,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:30 pm »
Capt Deb,
Not related to depression.  Related to underlying infections and fatigue.  Too much French for me too.  I like creeping crud better.................sounds like something a bit of a wench would have.
BrendaLu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT