Author Topic: Eyelid Weight and Scleral Lens or Just the Lens?  (Read 5557 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Eyelid Weight and Scleral Lens or Just the Lens?
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:23:08 pm »
Hi Everyone:

On January 22, I have an appointment to talk to an ENT that does the eyelid weight.  I am so happy to be moving forward on this front. 

Do you recommend the weight and the lens?  Or one or the other? 

I read two posts where users of both think the weight interferes with the lens, but I can't imagine having the lens without being able to close my eye.

During one of three disability exams during Christmas week, one doctor told me, "I can fix your eye for you.  I can put a weight in your eyelid and if it gets better we will just take it out."  He then told me his office number and reminded me he could fix my eye.  I was a bit taken aback because I thought the DI docs weren't supposed to solicit you as a patient.

Anyway, I said, "What about the Scleral Lens?"  He acted as if he never heard of it so I briefly described it and he said, "No you don't need that.  Just call me and we'll fix your eye."

I don't know if I've become totally cynical but I don't trust this guy.  He was either unethical or he was trying to be helpful.  Nonetheless, he didn't know what a Scleral Lens is.

I think I'm a perfect candidate for the lens and weight but I thought I'd see what you think.  I trust your advice more than a doctor's at this stage.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mimi (Mimispree)
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

feline

Re: Eyelid Weight and Scleral Lens or Just the Lens?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:27:30 am »
What about a permanent tarroplasty?
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Kerrybr92

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »
I have both. I started with the eyelid weight but that was not enough for me. A year later I was fitted for the scleral lens. The weight did make the fitting process a little more difficult but we got it in the end.  I think the weight does help at night when I no longer have the lens in.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
I have both. A well-placed eyelid weight should not interfere with a scleral lens. I wrote some weblog posts about my experiences. See http://www.sarahartman.com/category/scleral-contact-lenses/ - read from the bottom up.

Do not let your eye doctor get away with telling you that you don't need a scleral lens. It's absolutely indicated for our situation. Change doctors if you need to.

I can't begin to describe how much a scleral lens improved my quality of life.

Best,
Sara Lynn
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:40:59 am »
feline - do you mean a permanent tarsorrhaphy, where the eyelids are partially (or fully) sewn together?

Decision-making varies for everyone, but I would personally much rather wear a scleral lens, which protects the entire cornea, improves my vision and keeps my appearance as close to normal as possible in my situation.

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

feline

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:28:28 pm »
Partially sutured for a lot longer then the temporary that can be taken out once if blink and tears come back
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:18:02 pm »
I'm going forward with the eyelid weight, but I'm going to wait until the 18-month post-op date before I consider any other options.

Thank you for all of the input. 
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.