Author Topic: Permanent taroplasty  (Read 6325 times)

feline

Permanent taroplasty
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:26:54 pm »
Has anyone heard of or had a permanent taroplasty done on their dry eye if so for how long and then did u eventually have eyelid weight inserted?
Feline 6 months post with dry eye and facial paralysis
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

elsie

Re: Permanent taroplasty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »
Hi,  I couldn't find a definition of taroplasty.  Do you mean tarsorrhaphy - narrowing the eye lid opening.  I had this done 26 years ago.  if this is what yo mean, I will comment more
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

feline

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:25 pm »
Yes what u said narrowing of the eye my eye has been sutured somewhat sutured closed permanently how did this work  for u and advice
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

elsie

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »
Hi,

My procedure was slightly different.  My eye surgeon carefully scraped tthe surface of both my top and bottom eyelids a little way in from the outer edege.  Stitches held it gether until the two lids " fused " in the area. Cosmetically, my eyes aren't the same, it bugs me because it is a constant reminder of my beast, but no one even notices.  It is a very subtle difference.

My face has returned a little less than 60%. I don't have a natural blink in my eye, but it closes all but a sliver thanks to the procedure.  The eye is extremely dry, I also have upper and lower plugs in my tear ducts.  I wear the ointment night and day, and now an eye patch at night (which I decided I should have been doing all along - do it if you don't now).  My eye, 26 years later, is in excellent shape - I get my yearly opthamology exams and have no corneal problems.  The blur from the "goop" is annoying, but my eyes and mind have adopted.  My opthamologist credits the tarsorrhaphy and my religious use of ointment for that.  Don't get me wrong, with extremely dry eye, I am aways aware of that eye and it is quite uncomfortable at times.  That being said, I am very glad that I had the procedure

feline

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:36 pm »
Thanks for ur input what type of eye patch would u recommend at night I currently sleep with a plastic cover taped on my eye so I don't accidentally rub it at night I put drops and ointment in at night what would u recommend for helping the facial paralysis ? Thank u again-feline

elsie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »
I literally sleep like a log, don't move at all.  I wear the kids' bandage type patch, only size I can find but I am a small woman so it's OK and a sleep mask over that.  Anything that keeps moisture in while you sleep is good.  For facial paralysis, there now are therapists who specialize in retraining the muscles, Jackie Diehl at U. of Wisconsin is a leader, that help during the recovery period.  If your nerve has been severed or has been so damaged that it will not recover, there are plastic surgeons who specialize in reanimation techniques.  The doc who gives me botox to help my chin divot and neck strings, also is a plastic surgeon who has a special interest in facial paralysis.  there are many throughout the country who can help. 

how far post treatment are you?  is your paralysis complete, or are you seeing some return?

feline

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:56 pm »
Thank for ur feedback I am 10 months post translab and my doctors says wait for 18 months to see what comes back before a nerve graft.

lorigasper

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »
I'm so sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Hopefully, I can offer my two cents of encouragement!  I had my eye totally closed for 13 mos.  I don't regret it - I needed to concentrate on healing the rest of my life and my eye was causing a lot of discomfort.  I opted to close it until I was "back in the swing."

Last summer, I was reading a lot about scleral lenses and wanted to give them a try.  Though my eye surgeon was hesitant, he opened my eye for me and put in an eyelid weight.  I had my non-affected eye measured for a temporary fit for my lens until my eye was healed enough to do more exact measurements.  My regular eye doctor handled my scleral lens and I was so excited I didn't have to meet another doctor!  Having my peripheral vision back was life changing.  My lens has worked beautifully.  I wear it about 12 hours per day.  I still use ointment at night, so it takes several times inserting the lens in the morning before the ointment is washed out.  But it's worth the trouble.   :) 

So, in answer to your question, yes the tarsorrophy (sp?) was a successful choice for me.  I was glad I had it done and I have been pleased to have had it reversed.  Hope this helps...
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14