Author Topic: Hearing recovery with retrosigmoid  (Read 2220 times)

jdamiano

Hearing recovery with retrosigmoid
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:40 pm »
Has anyone who didn't have hearing loss before surgery have hearing preserved after retrosigmoid?  The doctors assured me multiple times they didn't cut the hearing nerve, but they trampled the nerve and disturbed the blood supply so that could lead to no hearing long-term. 

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since surgery and I'm still trying to be hopeful my hearing with come back in AN ear (right ear).  I really want to find out if there is ANYONE who has had hearing come back after 4 weeks, 6 weeks or even longer?  I have the tinnitus in my ear and sometimes I feel like I hear vibrations of other sounds when people are talking, but maybe that's my mind playing tricks on me.  It's hard to be patient because I really want my hearing back. 

Thank you,

Julietta

jeninla

Re: Hearing recovery with retrosigmoid
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:25 am »
Julietta,

I am about 5 months post retro sig surgery.  I didn't have any hearing loss before the surgery, in fact I have perfect hearing.  They were able to save my hearing nerve during my surgery.  The first 3 weeks my hearing was not great since there was still a lot of liquid in my ear and I felt stuffed up.  I remember after I stopped taking the steroids around 3 weeks out, my hearing got worse and I was super nervous.  However, a week after that my hearing got better.  By 6 weeks, my hearing was tested at normal range!  I think it will continue to get better.  I still have slight tinnitus but not too noticeable. 

Everyone is different.  But I remember the full feeling in my ear didn't totally clear up until week 5 or 6.  So give it some time. 

Good luck!
Jenny
discovered 2.0 cm 6/2014
retro sig 8/5/2014 with HEI, Schwartz/Slattery
total removal
hearing, facial nerves preserved!
Full recovery with no headaches