Author Topic: Ten days out and recovering  (Read 3506 times)

Trent in WA

Ten days out and recovering
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:48:41 am »
Hi, folks,

It’s been a pretty amazing ten days for me. Just over a week ago, on December 16, I went in for my tumor resection at Swedish in Seattle. We’d caught the tumor back in June when it was still on the small end of the spectrum (13 x 6 x 9 mm), and my preop CT scan indicated it hadn’t grown significantly in the intervening 6 months. My hearing was compromised already, though, and to preserve what was left my neurosurgeon, Dr. Delashaw, suggested we take the middle-fossa approach, which my neurotologist, Dr. Hoistad, agreed with.

Though the tumor was small, the surgery wound up being somewhat more complicated than they’d initially hoped for in the best-case scenario. The tumor had a lot of cystic material in it, which was gooey and required a lot of careful dissection. Still, after 5 ½ hours under anesthesia, I was closed up and in recovery. Two days in the ICU, three days on the general neuro ward, and I came home to my fiancée’s place on Saturday.

Since then, I’ve been making pretty good progress. I’m getting out for a walk daily, albeit I’m still using a walker for a little balance assistance, doing my vestibular exercises, and resting as much as possible without turning into a total slug. I made breakfast for us yesterday, which was kind of a triumphant moment, and today I’m going to try to walk a mile.

On the down side, it’s not clear yet whether I’m going to retain or recover hearing in my affected (left) ear. My acoustic nerve was working at around 50% capacity for most of the operation, and it was still working when they stitched me up, but I haven’t been able to actually hear anything on that side since the surgery. My surgeons say that we won’t know for sure for at least a few weeks, once the swelling has gone down and the fluid drains, so I’ll try to remain open to all possibilities. And if any of you guys have stories of regaining your hearing weeks after your surgeries, I’m all ears. Or ear. ☺

Thanks for your help and generosity. I hope everybody’s having a happy holiday season!

MG

Re: Ten days out and recovering
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:03:13 am »
Hi Trent, I am on W&W so I don't have any advice but just wanted to wish you the best in your recovery. Keep up the good work. :)

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Susang8

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
Hi Trent...

I am 7 weeks post-op after Translab approach surgery to remove a 2.8cm left AN.  I am now SSD but have adjusted nicely.  So while I cannot comment on the possibility of you regaining your hearing in your affected ear, I can tell you that if you don't regain your hearing, you too will adjust.  It just takes a positive attitude (and it sounds like you already have that!), strategic positioning when speaking to people and understanding family and friends.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!

Susan
Diagnosed with 2.8cm AN May 15, 2014
TransLab surgery completed October 27, 2014
No eye or facial problems, balance good, no dizziness
SDD and some tinnitus
Tumour completely removed
Life is VERY good!

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »
Thank you for sharing your positive outcome.  As a WW'er, it is very comforting to see others doing well post-op.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Trent in WA

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:56:06 pm »
I still don't have any hearing in my left ear, but here's a piece of good news: Since the surgery, I'd had some odd problems with my visual field, almost as though my right and left eyes were operating with different focal planes. Well, I don't know what, if anything, triggered the shift, but tonight they spontaneously re-sync'ed, which really seems to be helping my sense of balance.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
Hey Trent! First of all, welcome to postie land!  It's always good to be on the other side of things!  As you no doubt are experiencing, there's a lot of little victories during your recovery.  They come in waves, then sometimes nothing happens for a while and then you'll notice something changed without you really noticing when it changed. Now like your vision thing, how that just popped back to normal...that's something you noticed right off.  Those are always good things.  Just be patient though...I think almost every person on here can attest to the fact that as time goes on,  you want to be able to be further ahead than what you are, no matter how well you are doing.  I think that is just human nature.  Keep us updated and again, congrats! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston