Author Topic: AN and MS?  (Read 8033 times)

red

AN and MS?
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:57:33 pm »
I can't quite believe this is possible, but the nueor oto called back to say that he needed to have a full  brain MRI because of some "non specific white matter"  He said that he is supicious of ms.  The report says that there is "scattered nonspecific foci of deep white matter change anteriorly"  I have no idea what this means.  He goes in to get a full brain mri on thursday.  Any thoughts?

red

Battyp

Re: AN and MS?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:54:53 pm »
Red tell them we said they are not allowed to find anything else wrong!
Did they not do a full mri the first time? 
Keeping you guys in my prayers!

red

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:03:27 pm »
Thanks for being out there batty!  I think you're right out plate is full enough with a tiny an on it.  They only did mri on his internal auditory canal.  red

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:53:27 am »
red: I was actually being worked up for MS diagnosis and they found my AN when I had the CAT scan to make the MS diagnosis....
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:42:25 am »
Red,

I have MS and am fourteen and a half months post op for AN trans lab.  It makes the balance problems harder to deal with and it makes life interesting.  My MS was first symptomatic (SP)ten years ago, but then the signs of an AN were there then too.  I had an MRI of my brain after a head on collison and the radiologist said there was a "shearing" of the brain right where my AN was removed.  The CT showed gliosis and then I had further tests and was diagnosed with MS.  I walk like a drunk and sometimes talk like one and now that I am SSD  don't have to listen to myself so I live with it.  There are now lots of treatments for MS and episodes are fewer and further between.  I use a walker or cane on bad days and have a scooter if it gets really bad.  I will keep you in my prayers that whatever your diagnosis is that you have the best care and a positive outcome.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

kippy6

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:58:30 pm »
I hope your MRI turns out okay. If it's even any consolation, about 20 years ago, my mother went through years thinking that she might have MS. She had some slight white matter on her MRI. At the time, the docs said that MS is hard to diagnose. Turns out she thinks the white matter could be from an accident she had when she was a pre-teen. She was literally walking across the street, and a car hit her. She passed out from head trauma, but was okay in the end. I don't know if this is the true medical reason for the white matter, but at any rate, she does not have MS.

Also, I remember about 3 years ago, visiting my general practitioner...I peeked at my chart and saw in big letters "MS?" I forgot about that until now.  I don't have MS either.

Thinking of you....please let us know what the MRI results show.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

red

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:28:18 pm »
thanks for the thoughts!  We go in in the morning for the full brain MRI.  We'll let you know.  Honestly I was just getting ok with this AN thing and then bam! something else.  Enough already.  Well we'll let you know.  I'm praying for the best. red

LizH

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 03:11:32 pm »
My AN MRI shows white lesions, the type that MS patients have. However, I have seen 2 Neurologists and they both say that the white lesions have not grown since 2003. One of the Neurologists has ruled out MS after very detailed tests he performed on me for MS. I don't know who to believe now. I have vestibular neuropathy, especially in the morning. I have increased difficulty walking most of the time. So what's wrong with me? Both Neurologists think that my AN that was treated with FSR 5 years ago is pressing on my brain stem. What can I do now? This has really affected my quality of life.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada