Author Topic: How's your temper?!  (Read 31386 times)

kareno

Re: How's your temper?!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »
I have been viewing the ANA website for many years.  Many ANA folks who have had surgery or radiation complain of constant cognitive and emotional issues.  They experience frustration, short fuse,low tolerance, anxiety, loss of ability to concentrate,memory loss,anti-social, terrible mood swings, language issues, aches and pains, headaches and fullness in their head, lack of patience etc.  Some have received cognitive therapy which could be helpful.  I have seen this question many, many times. 
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

Petrone

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »
Just my opinion, but I think there is little or no relation between AN treatment and temper or mood. What is the etiology (causation)?  Sure, it can be stressful to receive an acoustic neuroma diagnosis, decide on treatment, and undergo surgery or GK.  But, can having a benign tumor in your head directly cause a bad temper or bad mood? Doubtful.   

What else might be the cause of a bad temper or bad mood?  Poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking, alcohol or substance abuse, depression, social anxiety, bad job/career, unfulfilled dreams/aspirations, bad marriage/relationship, angst about wars, poverty, elections, etc.     

Personally, I consider my AN as something of a blessing - in the sense that my worst health challenge (so far) has been to have an acoustic neuroma.  It could be much, much worse. I have two close family members who are dying of cancer. Several close friends of mine have autistic children. My brother-in-law drove himself to a hospital several years ago with flu symptoms and died 6 hours later of bacterial meningitis (he was 33). I've known other family or friends who've had epilepsy, heart disease, Alzheimer's disease, etc. 

Life can be hard. It can also be glorious. Sometimes it depends on the lens you're looking through.         

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:48:48 pm by Petrone »
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

Boise Jim

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
Well, Petrone, I would much rather listen to the advice of my neuro-oncologist, who said that it is very common to have temper issues after the radiation, especially where mine was located. My wife and I noticed that shortly after my GK, my temper got really bad. It didn't get better so off I went to his office. He prescribed Citalopram and everything got WAY better. Back to what it was before my AN. Good for you that you didn't get this as a side effect, but many of us do.