Author Topic: It's all in your Head  (Read 11038 times)

Cupcake

It's all in your Head
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:41:51 pm »
Hello Everyone

I'm 9 months post op. I had a teeny tiny (.4mm) AN removed last September. Although it was small, it was making big problems on my already damaged vestibular system (damaged from spinal anesthesia 22 years prior).

Recovery was going well, then we moved and I ran out of steam. Maybe it was the move? All the work? The house? I don't know?

I went to a new psych and he decided to change my meds. Increase Lamictal and elimate Buspar for anxiety. For someone who is bipolar-PTSD from trauma this wasn't a good idea. Anxiety hit me really hard. Panic attacks were coming in waves along with generalized anxiety. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband!  Well, after going back to my original Psych (and my meds) my anxiety is under control.

Now I'm sick. My ENT told me that I'm not sick, it's just anxiety. Do you have a problem separating anxiety-related symptoms from physically-related symptoms when you get ill?

Crazy nutty question...

Thanks

4mm removed 9/17 - middle  fossa, tear loss, decreased balance, reduced hearing, reduced facial sensation. Previous Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal Anestesia childbirth - 5 years PT - Mobile again :), balance issues, chronic pain. Syringomylia thoracic. PTSD, Anxiety.

mac84

Re: It's all in your Head
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:39:38 am »
Cupcake, sorry you're having to deal with all of that. I don't have an issue with that but have coached my adult daughter through this since age 15. If you are anxious it's just a big cycle...and hard to distinguish. Little things get magnified and causes the mind to make assumptions. Do the best to relax and stay off Google!  :)
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

Cupcake

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:24:01 am »
Thanks for answering with "knowing" words of advice. Google is evil to someone with anxiety.

I have never gone through this level of Anxiety before and I have to wonder is all related to the emotional issues after AN surgery? Or is it medication mismanagement?

I switched from one P-doc to another and they had differences/beliefs about medication. One felt I should be off anxiety meds and the other felt I should be on different ones. So the medication roller coaster began. It sent me reeling over with panic attacks and extreme waves of chemical-related anxiety I couldn't control. I had to go into the hospital for 4 days to rebalance my system.

Now that I am out and clear headed I realize I pushed things in recovery. I expected a bit more than my body could do.

I still have to be careful about physical symptoms. Are they anxiety or are they real. How do you know? I'm not sure how to go about it. It's all new to me.

Thank you for caring enough to answer Mac84. Your kind heart means a lot to someone struggling in the moment. Keep reaching out, I will.

Cupcake
4mm removed 9/17 - middle  fossa, tear loss, decreased balance, reduced hearing, reduced facial sensation. Previous Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal Anestesia childbirth - 5 years PT - Mobile again :), balance issues, chronic pain. Syringomylia thoracic. PTSD, Anxiety.

mac84

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:19:55 am »
Hang in there and stay off Google.  ;D

You'll do fine! Wishing you the best.....
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

HollyA

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »
Hi Cupcake,

I don't know if this is helpful in your case, but I found the book, Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks by Barry McDonagh, to be a life changer for me after many years of anxiety and panic and I tell as many people as I can about it.  The approach takes the fear out of anxiety.  Best wishes to you!
MRI May 2015, 1.3 cm
MRI July 2017, 1.8 cm
Gamma Knife Oct 2017