Author Topic: Is facial reanimation considered medically necessary?  (Read 4792 times)

lorigasper

Is facial reanimation considered medically necessary?
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
Greetings, all!

I'm just beginning to look into facial reanimation options and I'm wondering how surgery is approached with insurance.  My insurance doesn't cover anything cosmetic.  Any suggestions?  I'd love to think that I'd be able to make speech sounds correctly (I'm a teacher!) and drink my coffee with no dribbles, you know?

Thx!
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

cassie

Re: Is facial reanimation considered medically necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:07:47 pm »
Hello. I am at that point too, and I keep getting rejected for everything from my insurance company. I'd like to know from others, if you have had sucess with getting facial reanimation covered, and if so, how did you do it? It's frustration to be stuck here, one year post-op, with a still mostly- not- moving face! What type of doctor would actually do the facial reanimation?

Cassie

lorigasper

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:25:38 am »
Good morning, Cassie -
I had a helpful conversation with a nurse yesterday that works for my insurance company.  To start, he's having my surgical records sent for their review and he's asked my to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who does reconstruction work as part of his practice.  They, of course, are looking for what is "medically necessary" to "restore function."  I'll keep you posted.....
Lori
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 01:50:53 am »
Here in Ontario all that I had done was covered and not seen as "cosmetic" so it was all covered by OHIP. I understand things would be different in the US
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lorigasper

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 03:29:20 pm »
Hi Cassie -

Here's my update.....I'm scheduled for a 12/7 transfer in mid-December.  No difficulties from my insurance.  My doctor said that they know what codes to use, and it was approved.  If your surgeon needs someone to walk him through the process of submitting your surgery for approval, I'm sure may doctors who do this surgery could help.  My doc is Dr. Hegarty in Colorado Springs.  Hope that helps.  I wish you well.  Please let me know if there's anything else I can offer.

Lori
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »
Lori,

Good luck with the surgery! I had mine done in 2012 (no insurance issues). It's a slow healing process, so being patient helps. A lot. Glad to share my experience as you go through the preciousl process.
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab