Author Topic: An AN test!  (Read 6517 times)

Rc Moser

An AN test!
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:17 pm »
OK, I think I have found one measure of recovery after AN operation.  How many can whistle?????  That's the test!.   I can pucker and feel my lips forming, but not sound (whistle sound that is). Not quit there yet. After three years I am starting to have noticeable lift on my AN side. I heard or read somewhere, but can't remember where it could take up to 10  years for total recovery??? anybody else read anything on this or was I just DREAMING!?!?!?
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

tony

Re: An AN test!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:17:39 am »
Yes there was a recent post that reffered to a ten year time line
- but I think she meant 100% and so recovered that there were no real
issues to contend with day to day. You may get back to 95-6% in a few
months - or sooner depending on the nature of the surgery.
Trick is to grow gently and not push too hard, too soon.
Good Luck
and Best Regards
Tony

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:56:16 am »
Nope, can't whistle. One of my exercises this month from my facial PT is to blow up a balloon. That is pretty hard to do when you have to hold one end of your mouth closed.

Todd, my facial pt, said that recovery can happen over many years. He had a patient who he saw 15 years after facial paralysis and she is seeing recovery after therapy. Don't give up the faith....

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:41:00 am »
  It took about 6 weeks post-op for me to be able to whistle again.  And a bit longer to whistle on key (hit the right notes).
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:41:19 am »

whistle!! .. man, I'm just happy I can drink a glass without dibbiling !!!  8)

the first time I was out after the surgery, I ordered a beer with a straw!! ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:43:57 pm »
I am 8 years post op and still recovering. Last November, the tightness on the AN side of my head and face began to loosen up and now it feels normal again and I have alot more movement in my cheek.  I was given an MRI, just to be sure nothing new was happening, and everything looked great.  Never give up :)

I still can't whistle, but this last year I was finally able to blow out the candles on my birthday cake ;D

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:33:45 pm »
Whistle - no still can't do that.  I'll be happy when I can drink out of a glass without having to hold my lip up.  Or eat ice cream without having it run down my face.  And of course I don't know it because I can't feel it.  I can almost smile a tiny smile now though.  The corner of my lip will turn up just the tiniest bit when I try smiling.  Thirteen months out now and still hoping. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:38 pm »
My son loves to blow straw wrappers at me...usually the big kid in my blows mine back but we found out I can't blow  LOL  Of course he thinks it's grand.  I can't whistle like I used to.  Not loud enough to call my dogs in.