Author Topic: The daughter (chelsmom)  (Read 6702 times)

ChelseaR

The daughter (chelsmom)
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »
Hey guys. My mom always read to me in the hospital what you guys had to say and kept me informed about how much you all cared. Thank you. I dont remember much but I remember hearing about Chris, Taylor, and some other people I vaguely remember, but mostly people my age that I could relate to.

I am doing much better. I am getting out and doing things that I used to. Yesterday I went to my friends house and had apple pie with all my girls that are home from school. It was AWESOME. My SN is SumrSweetie819 but im rarely on that but I have a MySpace and a facebook so please look for me there if you wanna talk anymore. I will be on here and my email is calisoccerbabe10@yahoo.com

As you can tell i am kinda new to this, but I would love to talk to everyone. I know we have all gone through the same thing (old and young) and having you guys to relate to is amazing. I dont know if my mom told you anything about my AN but it compressed my brain stem to the left hemisphere and it was about 6  cm. It has nerves running through it and I have to have radiation to try and get the rest. I would love to hear about everyone else so please let me know!!
Diagnose in June 2006
6+ cm
20-25% still there
Removed after 2 surgeries
went to UCLA in California

Dfcman

Re: The daughter (chelsmom)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:34:55 pm »
Hi Chelsea.  Its so good to see you could be on here too. I'm so glad.  Its so nice to hear you are doing so much better too.  I'm so glad that we have these forums so that we can contact each other and hear each others stories.  Nobody around here has the same thing I had.  There like oh a guy over in New Castle (a town 20 miles away) had one of those and he was fine.  I mean thats good for that guy, but it doesnt really help ya know.  Nobody here can really relate.

Anyways its so good to see you on here.  Hope to talk to you in the future.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Obita

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:23:11 pm »
Hello Chelsea:

Nice to finally meet you.  I feel like I know you and your mom pretty well. 

Its great that you are getting out again.  You spent way to much time in the hospital!!

How is it that you young ones always get the big ANs?  I think I have only heard of three people with an AN as big as yours.

Have a good week,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:38:10 pm »
Hey!  Chelsea!  Welcome!  :)

You are practically famous around here  - thanks to your intrepid mom. 

I know your Acoustic Neuroma tumor was huge and that you had a series of rather nasty post-op complications but that you are past that now and due for fractionalized radiation treatments soon.  I've exchanged PM's with your mom regarding the radiation treatments as I'm undergoing the same type of treatment (see my signature) and she asked for my input.  Not much to say except that the 'facemask' they'll make (specifically for you) is extremely snug.  The sessions are quick (20 minutes for me). Painless, yes, but boring, most days.  Still, it has to be done so we just do it.  Right?

It's great to read about you getting back into the life you had to interrupt for the stupid tumor.  I felt the same way.  As for 'relating' to you and your specific condition: we're all different in some way and although we all have had (or still have) a tumor on our brain, none of us has - or will have - the exact same experience or outcome from surgery.  I''m 63 and my physician says I have the constitution of a man half my age.  News to me.  I never was very health-conscious but I had the good sense not to smoke or drink most of my life.  Perhaps that, along with a lot of heartfelt prayers sent up for me by my friends and a very experienced and knowledgeable surgeon contributed to my successful sugery and rapid recovery.  That's why I believe.  In any case, I'm an AN success story and I'm not at all ashamed of that.  In fact, I'm kind of proud of it - but I do wish that a lot more AN patients shared the same positive outcome from surgery and/or radiation.   Your experience was pretty unpleasant for you, I'm certain.  I regret that others have similar problems following AN removal surgery. I truly wish every single AN patient could have my positive experience.   

Chelsea, I'm one of many AN 'survivors' who followed your 'journey' and prayed for your recovery from the various complications you endured.  Your mom kept us informed and through her messages, we grew to admire your spirit as well as her calm tenaciousness as she tried to shepherd you through this health crisis in your young life (most AN patients are quite a bit older than you) .  Well, you're almost done, now.  Soon, your mom can rest and you can be the young woman you were and still want to be.  I join many others here in wishing you both a successful radiation therapy and a great future, free of tumors.  You deserve it.  :)

Jim 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:14:25 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:06:47 pm »
YEAH IT'S CHELSEA!  You're mom has been great at keeping us updated!  Glad you finally made it on to say hi ;D
You have such incredible strength...bet you make your mom proud! 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:50:33 pm »
Wow!  First Chris, and now Chelsea!!

It was quite the summer saga, hearing about you guys and your valiant fight against these stupid tumors that we have in common.  Soooo happy that you are doing better and regaining your strength.  Gads, you could write a book!  Honestly, this community was worried sick about you and so grateful that you are on the road to recovery.  Quite a detour for you.  Your mom was so good to keep us all posted and we could feel her strength and resolve to bring back a healthy daughter to her home. Which she has.  You guys are amazing!  This is wonderful to hear from you "in person", so to speak.  I hope your continued recovery goes smoothly and that you encounter no additional problems.  You've had enough of those to last for quite some time!  Good luck and I hope that you can resume your schooling soon.  Take care.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tony

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 12:11:14 am »
Welcome Home - you gave us all a few scary moments there
But looking better now
Best Regards
Tony

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 05:50:42 am »
Welcome Chelsea. It's so good to hear from you. You sure made the summer exciting for your family. ;) Recovery is a long journey but so worth it. Stay strong.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 05:11:12 pm »
HI Chelsea,

Welcome. So glad you are able to post for yourself now. We have been following your progress. So glad the worst is behind you. Your mom is an incredible, strong woman. I'm sure she was scared out of her wits for you. You are fortunate to have her. Please try to keep up tyour strength and postitve attitude. It makes all the difference. Come back to the forum any time and ask anything you need to . The people on here are very caring and have alot of good insight on the things you are going through.
Hugs
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year