Author Topic: Benign Brain Tumour definiton  (Read 15237 times)

junkman

Benign Brain Tumour definiton
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »
hi

Recently, my MRI revealed "vestibular schwanoma: intracanalicular mass in my right IAC. This is filling almost the entire IAC extending to media opening of the internal meatus. There is no extension into the cerebellopontine angle. "

I have not yet able to review the report with ENT/neurologist and I have to wait 6-8 more weeks before their appointments.

Definitions from my CI insurance:
"Benign Brain Tumour means a non-malignant tumour located in the cranial vault and limited to the brain, meninges, cranial nerves or pituitary gland. The tumour must require Surgery or radiation treatment or cause lrreversible objective neurological deficits.
Exclusion: No benefit will be payable under this Critical lllness lnsured Condition for
pituitary adenomas less than 10 mm."

My guess is that it should fit "limited to the ... cranial nerves", but I am not sure about "located in the cranial vault".

I appreciate your experiences/comments if my AN fits to the above Benign Brain Tumour definition in my Critical Illness insurance (Ontario, Canada).

Thanks.

Eric

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Benign Brain Tumour definiton
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:15 pm »
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of.  ;D

You'll find a lot of good information, sympathy, and guidance here.

Starting with the following:

Vault of skull, also known as the cranial vault, is the space in the skull occupied by the brain. It is formed by the following bones:
•Frontal
•Parietal (two in number)
•Occipital
•Temporal (two in number)
•Sphenoid
•Ethmoid

You can google all that stuff for definitions and diagrams but I think you'd be safe with the "cranial nerve" thing since the vestibular nerve is one of the cranial nerves.

Your insurance makes it clear that an AN on a cranial nerve is a "benign brain tumor" by policy definition.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:40:01 pm by arizonajack »
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »
I don't know about the particulars of your insurance, but one term that may apply is "skull base tumor".  While AN's (more accurately called vestibular schwanomas) are often referred to as "brain tumors", they are considered "skull base tumors".  They are also considered tumors of the central nervous system.  Maybe by searhing your policy with those terms you can find something more specific.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Echo

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:53:59 pm »
Hi Eric,

Not sure what CI Insurance you are referring to (perhaps a private plan), but if you are an Ontario Citizen, you should be covered by OHIP, our Provincial Health Plan.  If you are a resident and have OHIP coverage, your medical care will be covered for microsurgery or radiation. You will have complete coverage.

I had multiple consults prior to choosing my neurosurgeon through 3 different major hospitals, extensive testing for balance, hearing and vision issues, 4 MRI's along with Gamma Knife treatment and I have not had to spend one penny other than the cost of parking.  The only real out of pocket expense has been for vestibular rehab.  It falls under physiotherapy which is not longer covered by OHIP unless you are recovering in hospital.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:11:34 am »
Hi Eric: Cathy is correct, if you have OHIP everything should be covered in terms of treatment, your "extra" insurance would be for semi-private/private verses ward room post-op, drugs out of hospital etc. (everything in hospital covered).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

junkman

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »

Thanks everyone for your input.

I asked about a private Critical Illness insurance. It provides financial benefits when you meet conditions which cover about 20 different illness, such as, stroke, cancer etc. It is paid even though your treatment is covered by government OHIP.

Based on the above input, it is not clear if my AN is "located in the cranial vault".

By the way, I also found this forum very useful in both learning more information as well as getting support from many people. Will definitely share my experience here while going through my treatment journey.

jockieau

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
Hi Junkman

I also have critical illness insurance so am familiar with the intricacies of "benign brain tumour" definitions. Your definition sounds comprehensive and includes acoustic neuromas, given they grow on the cranial nerves.

So it looks as though you are covered.

jag

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »
Hello

I have been diagnosed with an AN and I am in the process of claiming for a benign brain tumour Critical illness insurance fromobviously the same insurance company you have.  The definition matches perfectly.

I am curious if you received a payout.  I am patiently waiting for my neurosurgeon to fill out the paperwork..  My AN is 13Mm x 9mm x 6mm.

dennisma77

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 08:04:16 pm »
Did anyone received payout from your insurance company ?