Author Topic: My surgery  (Read 4603 times)

al

My surgery
« on: October 07, 2006, 04:09:49 pm »
To all -

As you can see I haven't written in a while.  I had gotten scared on some of the replies back to my email about how I can still get dry eyes so I stopped going onto this site. I guess I was afraid to hear what else could happen.  I never did get the dry eyes and I am now 5 weeks since my surgery (8/30).  Getting use to being deaf on my right ear is still hard for me.

I still have some slight balance problems and sometimes I feel strange with my eyes while walking.  I'm not experiencing any dizziness, I see very clear, but yet do not feel fully focused.  It hard to really explain this feeling.  Some days it's better than others.  I still have some head and ear pains (though this is finally getting better).  Motrin helped the best.  I have read on this site about people using a Memory Foam Pillow..  I have gone into some surgical places, but there are so many different types, that I am interested in anyone using this type of pillow - what kind did you buy and did it really help the pain.

I sometimes wonder how my balance will be back to normal for me to be able to go back to work.  My doctor has said it could take up to 12 weeks for this to happen since my tumor was small 1 cm.  I have to take the bus and train and work full time, part time is no option for me.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

AL  

Rc Moser

Re: My surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »
IMO the removal of your tumor is probably still affecting you vision. If it was large or it was pushing on the optic nerves II, III, and Maybe IV could explain your vision problems. It will just take alittle time for you vision to come back 100%. It's great that your 7th nerve is watering your eye you must have good lift on you an side of your face also?  Dry eye (weak or limp 7th nerve causes the AN side eye to not water, no blinking, and no lift on the affected side of the face) was one of the most diffuclut for me. always was burning and scratchy, and any air movement made it much worse, especially cold or cool air. You should be on the high road to recovery now. 8).  I find that With only one ear and balancer I can't tell which way noise is coming from I seem to turn to the wrong side about every time.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:48:06 am »
Have you seen a pt for balance help? Have your doc give you a referral, it will help.  Also I saw an opthamologist about my vision probs. Tell you doc and maybe he can help.   Getting used to SSD does take time and I thought people here were crazy when they said I would adjust but the brain is a remarkable thing. Take it easy and it's good to see you here again.......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:53:25 pm »
Hi Al,  vestibular therapy will def. help the balance problem.  Ask your doc for a pt referral if they haven't given you one.  I know for me I had a lot of vision problems post surgery which just took a while to clear.  If I move my head too fast I get that disconnected feeling.

I bought a memory foam pillow from belk's which at the time was one of the few stores that carry them and now you see them everywhere.  I have two different types and the one that I like the best for my neck is the anti snore pillow.  One side is bigger than the other and cradles your neck.  IMO it's more comfortable than my regular foam memory pillow which just looks like a standard pillow in shape and size.  I know in FL the stores will run a 50% off sale about every other week, they can be pricey but IMO it's worth it.

Hope that helps,
Michelle