Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 3794 times)

Dzimy

BAHA
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:30:47 pm »
Just starting my research on BAHA.  It is a possibility in the future.  Anyone have one and how long after surgery is this usually and option.   Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

Boppie

Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:59:15 pm »
Follow the posts of Joef.

Obita

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:35:04 am »
Check out Pembo's posts as well.  She loves her's, especially in the car with her kids........

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nipanddale

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:17:40 am »
Hi, Donna!

I have been wearing my BAHA for two weeks now. At first, I was dissapointed, because it did not trigger a dramatic improvement in "how much" I can hear. Yet, as my brain becomes accustomed to the BAHA, I have noticed a couple of things:

1) In the three months since my surgery, if my wife called out to me at home, she would have to tell me what room in the house she was in because I could'nt tell what direction her voice was coming from. With the BAHA, I am improving greatly.

2) When I returned to work in September (teaching middle school) I found myself asking students to speak louder, or in a few cases, bending down and putting my ear very close to their faces just to hear them. This is happening less frequently.

3) If someone was walking on my left side (my deaf side) talking to me, I would have to move myself to the other side. Now if I listen closely, I can make out what they're saying- but I'm still adapting.

Do I think you should get one? Maybe. I had adjusted to being SSD fairly well. Yet, I think the BAHA has made some improvement to my quality of life. Joef listened to my complaints last week, and he assured me that my brain will adapt and I will "see" more improvements with time-- and I'm beggining to!

Good luck!

Dale
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:48:12 am »
you can have it done at the same time as the AN surgery, or you can have it done years after ... anytime really!
I would assume if you did not have at the AN removal, you should wait a few months , just my opinion.

have you seen http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi yet ?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 10:02:50 am »
I had my implant 15 months after surgery. I did "adjust" to SSD somewhat but by 9 mo post op I was tired of the ssd shuffle, not hearing my kids, and not being able to follow conversations especially in large groups or loud rooms.

I do love mine.........it's not a dramatic improvment but it's an improvement.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006