Author Topic: How many Drs. do AN surgery?  (Read 9753 times)

Obita

How many Drs. do AN surgery?
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »
Hi Everyone:

This is a general question for a newly diagnosed friend on the forum. 

How many surgeons did your surgery?

I had a Otologist/Neurotologist get to the tumor and a Neurosurgeon take is out.  Is this normal or can a Neurosurgeon do the whole thing?  I would like to get a quick poll for my friend and would appreciate your input.

Thanks, and have a good weekend,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

Re: How many Drs. do AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:31:41 pm »
I had the same as you

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:38 pm »
My first time around was done only by the neurosergoen, no otoneurologist or ENT as far as I know...just him and his residents & interns. Second time (regrowth removed) was done by a otoneurologist only, the neuroserg. he works with came in "to peek" but there wasn't anything for him to do as all nerves around there was essentially "removed" the first time around (cut back right to where they come out of the brain).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Dzimy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:19:14 pm »
Kathy I also had 2.  One opened and closed and the other took out the AN.  Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:01:24 pm »
I had 4 surgeons - a neuro fellow to open, the neuro-ENT to open up the inner ear and expose the tumor, the neurosurgeon to remove the tumor, and a senior neuro resident to close.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:24:54 am »
3...I had my ENT do the opening and the Neurotologist do the surgery and closing with a Neurosurgeon in the room standing by if he was needed. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

tony

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 07:38:58 am »
Yes - it is usually a "team" rather than one man
Generally the more experianced the better -  100+ plus OPS  is a good starting point
but there are teams in the 000`s
- usually the issues/problems tend to occurr in the first 0-50 (on average)
AN`s themselves are quite rare - so the folk that deal with them "only"
are quite rare too.
best regards
tony

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 08:24:31 am »
I had a neurosurgeon as the main man..not sure who else was in the room as when they wheeled me in seemed like we were gonna have a party  ;) only they made me sleep through it  ;D  I know he had a doctor there on fellowship with him.  I'll have to ask on my next visit.

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 10:00:10 am »
2, Neuro and Oto...I have the most contact with the Oto (all the follow-up visits etc). They also both had their residents there. My surgery was at a teaching hospital.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:42:47 am »
The Univ of Iowa has the neurotology fellow do the open and close and the neurotologist does the tumor removal.   I am now starting on my 4th Fellow since all my AN fun began in 2001.     
Today is the 6 mo anniv of my CSF leak surgery which was 2 weeks after my trans lab.      What a difference time has made.               I am finally not so tired in the evenings and back to my usual  routine.       
Tomorrow is our granddaughters 3rd birthday!    She has been the real joy in my life and luckily lives close by.    Also today our youngest daughter from Michigan will arrive after being at a conference in Omaha and then will visit here for a few days and be here for the birthday party.        Mon the granddaughters mommy will be having her ultrasound and see if it is prince or princess no 2.      This baby arrives next March.                       Life is much better than 6 mos ago.
                                        Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lmurray69

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 12:44:31 pm »
 going to see 3 dr.s dont know how many is to do the trusty deed..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 02:47:08 pm »
I had 3 doctors working on me during my surgery; 2 neurosurgeons - my primary surgeon and his capable assistant, also a board-certified nurosurgeon, who opened and closed the incision and assisted my primary surgeon in removing some of the tumor, as well as a neurophysiologist, who performed electrophysiologic monitoring of the cranial & facial nerves to avoid post-op complications due to nerve displacement.  That worked out very well.  I believe that a 'resident' surgeon was in the OR but, on my physicians orders, was only allowed to observe.   Of course nurses also were present.  My primary neurosurgeon would only operate with his own team, including the nurses, and he refused to allow other doctors to do anything more than observe.  It was a small OR and I half-remember it being a bit crowded. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Obita

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 05:15:57 am »
Thank you very much everyone.  Have a good week.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Rc Moser

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:19:53 am »
I guess it would depend on the size and location? My tumor was large and was no dought the inner ear and tumor had to be removed. Usually these are long operatons and micro at that. So a team is required 90% of the time. The ENT to open and remove the ear pieces and sometimes close. A neuro or two to get ALL of the tumor. An Neruophyer to monitor the nerves, and the guy who keeps you in laa laa land which is just as important. IMO one guy working through a hole the size of a quarter as long as 12 to 20 hours would be asking too much.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.