Author Topic: work issues  (Read 11887 times)

Battyp

work issues
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:33:11 am »
http://www.jan.wvu.edu/media/BrainInjury.html

I found out this week I was terminated a month ago but no one bothered to tell me.  I went back to work for a few hours a week and was put  back on disability due to the stress.  I've been researching some things and came across the article and thought it was interesting on accomodations in the workforce for people with brain injuries which apply to some of us.  Just thought I'd share.

M
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:23:49 pm by battyprincess »

amylynn

Re: work issues
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:35:51 am »
M
That is horrible.  That isnt right.  Have you thought about an attorney?  I'm really sorry this happened to you.
Amylynn
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

tony

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:13:31 pm »
I was sorry to hear of your troubles - but if that really is their attitude
then maybe you are better off without them ?
You were a teacher yes ? - you can still teach - of course
But why not on your terms with hours and conditions that suit you ?
As a post-op you may find a 40-50-60 hr grind too much
- so why not do the hours you are comfortable with ?
maybe consider self employment, private contracts etc
it may seem a big step - but there is only one person in the world
that cant fire you - and that is you.
Time to take stock - what can you do well ?
what do you like doing ?
And when your old boss attends a dinner where you are the guest
speaker on a thousand bucks a night
- you can tell him to    @{~[%%^&£"  etc  etc ?
sorry, you wouldnt do that would you ? - youre a lady......
I would though...
Best Regards
Tony

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:22:37 pm »
Oh dear, I am so sorry.  What a bunch of bums!  Yeah, they don't deserve you!  Maybe you can tutor?  Don't give up.  Sue their little butts off.  Something!  Arrrggggghhhhh!.  Brings out the Pirate in me...   This is why we have disgruntled workers.  Just don't make the evening news, dearie....that wouldn't be good.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:23:33 pm »
Thanks guys..some of what they did is in violation of the EEOC rules but as far as terminating me without telling me there is nothing I can do as I was out of the 12 week period.  Def. is not a nice thing to do to someone!  

I'm trying to go back to school as I can no longer teach due to the speech problems from the surgery.  I'm finding when I get upset or stressed it gets worse as it did this week.  The doctors said I need to work for myself which I'm working on just a slow process!  

If I wasn't on my meds sue I would be on the evening news for running down an insensitive boss  LOL 

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 07:29:04 am »
I've thought about it..my company offered to allow me to apply for an online position but it's only 10 hours a week and they wanted to lower my salary.  I need full time if I'm going to support myself and my son.  I am looking into a masters program which I'm sure will help with employment.  I can do it online too without a lot of stress or talking  8) 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 12:25:12 pm »
Hey Michelle,

SO sorry.  The bums.  Can you collect unemployment. How bout a suit against them for terminating someone disabled?? But at a minimus, maybe you could do their 10 hrs a week while doing your masters. Can you be a substitute teacher??? Hope things start looking up for you real soon!!

Hugs
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:37:39 pm »
As long as the doctors agree to the disability I can't collect unemployment but I can disability which is more so...all will work out as it's suppose to.  Just a jolt after 9 years w/ the company to find out I was terminated a month ago and no felt I needed to be notified.  I'm going to start pushing vr harder this week to make things happen!

Obita

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 06:07:46 pm »
I'm thinking about you Batty.  You didn't deserve this. 

You are one strong Cookie.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 02:12:39 pm »
Has anyone here ever gone to court over something like this? I think my current company has me on the list to get out and they have no real grounds other than the time I missed for each of my surgeries ...

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 04:02:55 pm »
Hey Battie,

Sorry to hear about your job.  I think your former boss deserves to walk the plank.   

Have you ever done any grant writing?  I've heard there is a demand for that type of work. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 08:11:42 pm »
No I haven't but am looking into taking classes for govt grant writing.

tcrnko

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 07:05:44 am »
That really sucks!  I'm really sorry to hear that.

Even if your disability won't allow you to teach full time, hte least they could do is call you in and discuss it with you in an adult manner.

Here is a thought.  Is it possible for you to get work with the medical facility that did your surgery?  You have both the background and credentials and could be a great help to both patients with brain injury and staff that care for patients with brain injury.  Experience is a great educator.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 07:01:06 am »
I went to court with a former employer after I was harrassed because of a brain injury back in 1996.  The employer moved my office to the second floor, making it very difficult to get there.  The "guys" mimicked and made fun of my speech and walk.  It was frustrating and I was demoted because they said I could no longer do the job I was hired for.  I sued and after two years of depositions and all the legal mumbo jumbo I settled out of court.  Then I turned around and sued them again because the car I was driving was a company car and I was hit head on by a drunk driver and the company refused to pay expenses.  I accepted a settlement on that one too.(I was living in Overland Park, Kansas at the time). In 2000 I was driving yet another comapny car and was rear ended at a red light by a drunk and drugged driver.  His insurance company paid, but the company I worked for fired me because I couldn't work for three months.  I sued them and won.  I don't drive company cars anymore.  I think they have big signs that say "hit me". (I lived  in Texas for this) My head has looked like a well used soccer ball for so long I don't think I remember what it used to look like!  Of course after the AN surgery, my memory isn't what it used to be, but then nothing else is either. 
Get a good employment attorney and be prepared to wait and wait and wait somemore. 
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

kippy6

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 08:46:04 pm »
Hi Batty Princess,

That stinks. Maybe it was time for a change anyway. Who knows. But we are all going to put our heads together here...how about...

1. Technical writing? If you can do Grant Writing, you could do that. I was a technical writer for years, and I was an English major. You don't necessarily have to have computer experience.
2. Also, hospitals employ writers....what is their title? I think it's Medical Transcriptionist.

Just some ideas...even if it's not exactly what you are looking for, it might buy you some time until you find what you really want.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute