Author Topic: Holistic approach with CK  (Read 22766 times)

Palace

• Palace
Re: Holistic approach with CK
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 07:09:20 am »
Chris

Did you mean Colloidal?  I need to do much more research before, going back on an OTC drugs after CK.

Thank your for your time and effort..........Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

mellowrama

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 11:02:24 am »
Hello,

I wasn't given anything before or after ck (a little over a week ago), just some tylenol.  I'm doing really well, occasional headache.

Palace - How big is your AN ?  That might make a difference...mine is slightly over 2cm.

melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 11:56:45 am »
Melinda:

I was told to expect migraine headache after the CK.  My AN is 22 mm in the largest part of it.  I wonder if I would be allowed to take Imitrex for a migraine after CK.  I have taken 30 mg of the Imitrex spray or 100 mg of Imitrex tablets when I had severe migraines for years.  Sometimes two hours later, I would have to take 100 mg more of Imitrex.  I wonder if I can take this medicine right after CK, if I get a migraine headache.  That is a question I don't know yet.  I will ask the next doctor about that.  I do need to know that.  I used to have the feeling my head was blown up with a balloon but, that was totally seperate from my migraine headaches and at different times.  I haven't had that pressure in the head for about a year.  I would happen if I got out of a car or stood up.  I do have very low blood pressure as well.  I would feel faint and HAD to sit somewhere until it all passed.  (again, that was totally seperate from the migraine headaches)  The surgeon told me that the AN grow and pushes the nerve out of the way, etc.  (that is why those spells have passed and they were horrible)  It would stop me for about 5-10 minutes.

Does anyone else have any input on all this?

Have a good day if you can,

Palace
single sided deafness

Chris

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 05:14:35 pm »
Hi Palace

I probably do mean what you said. That one is the concentrated mineral extract and Missing Link is the vegetable extract. I really should look into this again soon.

Regards
Chris
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 09:22:48 pm »
Hello Gang:

It was a long and exhausting day at Stanford today.  I went for the consultation with the radiation therapy doctor.  I even made a decision on the spot.  I'm going with the rad as, I have that choice but, it is so large that if it grows much more it would be too large for the radiation procedure.  My only choice then would be the traditional surgery.  I hope they find me a place soon.  Last I heard I would have to wait almost two more months.  This doctor seemed like she would try to fit me in.  (the two doctors working together on my case)  I had had a Cat Scan before but, not with this type of dye.  I hope I'm not allergic to it.  They don't know what to do with me since I'm allergic to steriods.  So, they probably won't give it to me and I will suffer the swelling, etc.  She, (the doctor) says nothing else works for that purpose, like the steroids.  She mentioned the Motrin wouldn't do much of anything for me considering the size of my AN procedure. I was told most people have much smaller tumors.  Then the man doctor said, "I saw a larger one than yours, once!"

I can go back on Holistic Meds six months after my final treatment!

I could use a Valium or a massage right this minute.  i guess I will have to jump in bed and hope the concert in my ear and pain there doesn't keep me awake.  My cheek, lips and tongue are getting more numb.  The pain in the ear is really hard to live with, now.

Hanging in there by a thread,

Palace
single sided deafness

Mark

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 11:33:44 pm »
Palace,

I had CK at Stanford in 2001 and I know "marystro" had it this past year. Please let either of us know if you have any questions about treatment or procedures

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:04:45 pm »
Dear Mark and "Marystro,"

Did you or any of you have the rolling colored lines before your eyes on the AN side?  I'm speaking of before your surgery of any kind.  When this happens, I can close that eye and still see the rolling rainbow patterns and not much else in the non-vision.  I have had the migraine headaches for many years and the pressure that feels like a balloon blown up in my head.  That feeling like I would pass-out would make me have to sit down until it passed.  Many of the times it would happen if I were sitting awhile and stood up suddenly but, not always the case.  (more times than not, though)

I took an OTC Valerian root pill today but, this is it for me until I hear about when my big dates are.  Oh, I had to take Imitrex yesterday for a migraine headache last evening.  (the 100 mg pill)  I did have those rolling lines once yesterday actually at Stanford!  I'm not taking anymore OTC meds and I have never abused drugs before, OTC or otherwise.  I never even smoked!  I'm guilty of wine with supper and enjoy every sip.

I'm interested in the various symptoms each of you had that had a very large AC.  (mine 22 mm)

"Honest Palace"
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 04:02:56 am »
 On the subject of meds:

On the subject of the Imitrex.  I did ask the resident male doctor I saw a couple of days ago,  if I could use Imitrex right after CK and much to my surprise, the answer was.......*drumroll*.........."YES!"

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 06:31:45 am »
On a more pleasant note...

What hobbies or interests do you all have that you can do, without worrying about foot-balance so much.

I paint and sell my watercolours, locally.  I'm interested in landscapes, nature and animal paintings.

It is a more holistic lifestyle, having time to artistically balance your life beyond work. (and exercise)

Yes, it is difficult to fit it all within a day.  There must be life after AN, right?

Yours,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 04:52:25 pm »
Hello Forum:

RE: Ct scan and CK appts.

I got the confirmation phone call that I won't be treated until the end of November and the first part of December.  I first called the medical clinic back in June and started there with a mini hearing test, that I ordered by the doctor.  (other symptoms in the past were ignored and no MRI ever ordered and this has been going on for about 10 years; that is why my AN is now so large, now)  I asked politely who the scheduling person spoke with and it was the resident doctor.  I asked nicely if she would check with my lead doctor about those dates.  Please folks, cross all your paws that I can get a sooner date.

Thanks in advance,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 07:09:23 pm »
Hi Everyone:

I had those ear pains yesterday and today; the one that "pulses."  (very sharp pain)  I of course have the fullness in the ear continuously but, decided to try Aspirin for the facial pain which is extreme already.  It cut my facial and tongue pains in about, half for two hours.  That was the first break I got in a few weeks since the facial pain has moved into the big picture with the rest of the symptoms.  I will quit Aspirin a couple of weeks before my Ct scan and CK appointments.  Since I didn't think much would *cut* this type of pain, I was surprised with a couple of hours relief. 

Thank you for all of your suggestions and help,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 08:17:31 pm »
One more thing tonight.......

Do you all have a Northern California "AN get-together" at all?  I'm curious since there are those who gather together in other states for brunch or somethings.  (it would be fun to tele-commute)   :-*

Palace
single sided deafness

LizH

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 05:22:36 am »
Hi Palace, what vitamins, if any, were you taking? Were the medications helping? Do have balance or walking problems? Since physical therapy has not helped me I want to try the holistic approach. Thanks.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:38 am »
Yes, I can see where Tai Chi would have potential the rethinking/balance problem for some of us.  Thank you for that information.

My thoughts for those of you thinking of a "holistic" approach for a probem is, to see a well-researched/good holistic doctor.  (MD)  It will cost you monies and especially for a really good one.  If you are buying something which is supposed to help with the AN symptoms, please clear it with your regular doctor and or the AN doctors you have seen or are seeing.  Again, I got the OK that I can take holistic meds about a half year AFTER my CK.  I'm awaiting my CK dates. 

There is a well-known person here in the mountains at New Leaf Market in Felton, CA.  He is *just* an person who is advising on "say," Eastern approach.  I won't post his name but, his initials are R.G.  He is a busy man but, will take your phone call if you can't make it in person the first time.  If you are within a reasonable driving distance "over-the-hill" from Stanford (Los Altos, CA.) and call this person first, you can see when he will be in to talk with you.  He is currently off on Wed. and Thurs., I believe.  Again, this person is not an MD.  I did benefit with my experience talking with Richard G. and my discussion with a holistic MD.  They were both on the same track BUT, it was the holistic Western medicine doctor that told me honestly that he could not help me avoid the CK.  I appreciated his honesty!  The Eastern way might lead you to believe that you could avoid the drastic measures.  I my case not so as, my AN is so very large at this point.

Yes, I still want to know what is and or will be, permenant damage with AN.  I will speak with Richard G. myself after my rad-tx to see what if anything I can take to improve balance.  I posted earlier in this thread about what I was taking.  It doesn't hurt to improve cell growth with some of the right added helpers. 

Good luck and get more than one opinion in any case!

Regards and I hope this helps,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 09:45:11 am »
 ;D

I must add to my information about R.G., that I have great respect for him and he will help you from his heart.

Good luck in finding people that "really" know what they are talking about when it comes to a more natural approach to an illness.  (helpers with illness and diseases)  I'm finding out that we can go holistic with lots of problems rather than "mask" them.  With my AN, I most likely can't wait by going holistic and I have to trust someone's advice so, I went with my last consultation since the holistic doctor I talked with did attend Stanford at one point.  He knows his stuff.  I also trust R.G. but, I don't have time to experiment with Eastern meds because, my tumor is at the point of more damage to me.  It is pushing on one of my brain nerves, right now.

Big Sigh,

Palace
single sided deafness