Author Topic: Home from surgery and playing with the kids, playing on the computer, etc  (Read 4818 times)

suelay

Hi cyber friends,  one day I hope to go on one of these pirate raids and meet some of y'all.  After reading lots and meeting with a fair number of doctors, I decided to go with surgery (retrosigmoid with Drs. Link and Driscoll at Mayo).  So far so good.  My facial nerve scored tops and until today my expressions looked 100 per cent normal for me.  Now, my right side of my lips  is doing something funky when I make a smooch face or yawn.  My AN was on the Left?  They said not to be surprised if some weakness/paralysis developed and if so, it would be temporary.  (At least that's what I recall, I will call tomorrow to verify.)  So far, my hearing is essentially what it was pre-op which is an absolutely undeserved miracle.  My marble was pretty small (16 mm x 8mm x 8), but  they weren't very optimisitic about preserving it.  I can't say all the good things I feel about you all, my doctors and being on the road to recovery.  I know it's one day at a time and tomorrow may stink, but today is good and I'm grateful. 
     Katie, you look fabulous and are such a trooper.  I followed you on the web in my pre-op days.  Thanks for being willing to share and for you and/or your hubby knowing how to do all that computer stuff.  I will see if my "manfriend" can help me post a picture and I might be able to figure out the signature information. 
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result

Obita

Hi suelay and congrats on having surgery behind you!!

I am very happy about your hearing - you are the perfect example for "the smaller the tumor, the better the outcome" after treatment.  Hats off to you for finding it early.

I'm sure there is a explaination for the right side of your mouth.  Yes, I would call for peace of mind. 

Best of luck to you,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Hi
Congrats on the wonderful news about your surgery and your hearing preservation. That is awesome.  So happy that everything worked out more than okay for you.   :)

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
     Katie, you look fabulous and are such a trooper.  I followed you on the web in my pre-op days.  Thanks for being willing to share and for you and/or your hubby knowing how to do all that computer stuff.  I will see if my "manfriend" can help me post a picture and I might be able to figure out the signature information. 

Thank you so much!   ;D

And congratulations on your own recovery and move to the Postie side!  It's good to hear you're doing well.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

suelay

Thank you all.  I have a feeling I'm getting some of the temporary weakness they warned me might happen, but if it did, would resolve itself.  I can do the ARRRRR like the pirates really well today:), cheek puff up is lopsided, yawn, etc but I can smile, raise both eyebrows, etc.  I did call and leave a message with my docs  just in case they think more steroids, facial exercises, etc. are in order.  It is so true that the smaller the tumor, the better the chances of preserving hearing, regardless of which treatment we choose.  I have my 10 year old daughter to thank for finding my when we did--she was tired of repeating herself and told me to go get my hearing checked:)
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Welcome Suelay!  You're up and about early after surgery....good for you!  My facial issues came as I got off steriods, and the movement is slowly coming back....so if it goes, it will come back.  You are most certainly welcome aboard the PBW, and if you're not doing anything next July, we're all working on heading to Philly to the Symposium and would love to meet you!  I have met several of my co-ANers and it's a really great experience getting face to face time with someone who knows how you feel.  Keep us updated on your progress!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

DeniseSmith

Great to hear you are doing well! ;D