Author Topic: dental work  (Read 3096 times)

Karen

dental work
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:27:50 pm »
Have any of you with facial paralysis and numbness had dental work done on that side?  What does it feel like, dooes the dentist go ahead a deaden it?  Just a few questions before I visit the dentist!!!  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Pembo

Re: dental work
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:58:40 am »
I've had my teeth cleaned many times since surgery and it is nice to not feel when he pokes and prods with that pointy cleaner thing. lol  I haven't had to have any work done so I can't answer your question but the cleaning part goes alot easier.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

DeniseSmith

Re: dental work
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:44:53 am »
In June, I had a cleaning and a filling done.   I have facial paralysis on my left side, the filling was on my right side. The dentist numbed my right side. It was wierd, but it didn't really bother me.  I always thought my tongue was half numb, that one entire side of my tongue was numb, but when he numbed my right side of my tongue.  I had a strip down the middle of my tongue that could feel. It was alittle odd, but over all not a big deal.  My dentist did the filling first, then the cleaning, by the time I left his office my right side was pretty much back to normal.

One thing I had a problem with was holding my mouth open for so long. The denist had this u-shaped thing he put in my mouth so I could keep it open.  It sits towards the back and you bite down on it and you basically can rest your mouth while he is working.  He also had to have his assistant hold my tongue out of the way. 

Just be sure to let him know what is going on with your issues from your AN and I am sure he/she will be very cooperative and sensitive to your needs.

Denise 8)