Author Topic: Off topic, just thought someone may know, raised ALT  (Read 3595 times)

tatianne

Off topic, just thought someone may know, raised ALT
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:17:14 pm »
I just had some routine blood work that came back with a raised ALT, it was 51 and should be under 40 i think. I know this test has to do with the liver, has anyone ever had this ? What does this mean ?
Sorry for going off topic, im just feeling worried about this and I know you guys know a lot.
Tks
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Off topic, just thought someone may know, raised ALT
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:17:39 pm »
T,
  This page has some information on the ALT Blood Test, http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/hw/lab_tests/hw20645.asp
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:08:44 pm »
Take note "some herbs and other natural products can affect the ALT.  Liver "reactions" can follow use of estrogens, anti viral meds, anti fungal meds, etcetera plus some congenital or inherited syndromes, and past exposure to diseases that you overcame. 

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 01:30:37 pm »
51 is slightly raised but most providers don't consider it worrisome unless you are 2-3x normal (in other words 80s or above).  Liver function tests can be abnormal because you have hepatitis, fatty liver, liver damage, as a result of certain medications and for a host of other reasons.  An ALT of 51 is no cause for worry if your other labs are normal.  It may be that you are on a cholesterol or diabetes medication, or something else that requires routine liver tests to make sure you are tolerating the medication.  If the test is just routine (like for a physical) and you are low risk for liver issues then chances are the docs will just want to recheck in a few months.

Amy (nurse practitioner)
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

tatianne

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 01:52:02 pm »
thanks everyone, i appreciate the info.
Amy, all my other labs are normal, except my cholestorol is a little high, but im not taking any meds yet for that.
I do take effexor 150 XR, and i think she was checking because of that.
I also have a bad UTI, and it maybe a kidney infection because both my sides and back are hurting in the kidney area. Could kidneys affect the ATL ?? I read in one or two places a kidney infection could increase it...although im not sure the sites were reliable.
My ex works in administration in the emergency, he asked one of the best docs and he said its nothing to worry about so I will try not to.
Thanks for your reassurance, it has helped,
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......