Author Topic: flu shot  (Read 12123 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
flu shot
« on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:15 pm »
My work is scheduling flu shots, and having just gotten over a monster cold that was 3x worse than anyone else who had it, I'm wondering if I should get one.  I usually do, but I also know that my immune system is knocked down.  Anyone else dealt with this?  Thought I'd ask you guys before I check with the doc.  Thanks!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: flu shot
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:38:47 pm »

Funny thing  ;D I just got email about the flu shot here at work too !!!! .. I signed myself up!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 01:51:13 pm »
I have always heard that you should not get the flu shot if you are "currently" ill.  If you were quite miserable with that cold and still feeling washed out, I would opt to wait if you have a choice of dates that the shot is being given. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 01:59:41 pm »

Yeah, in fact the sheet they emailed to us said, that if your ill at the time of the shot, you should NOT get it ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 03:54:21 pm »
I'm finally done with the cold, I was just wondering if there was any problems just having surgery 3 months ago and having it.   

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:37:21 pm »
I don't think you need to worry about having the flu shot 3 months post-op, I'd be more worried about getting the type of flu they're vaccinating you against than having the shot. Ask your GP what they think.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 05:09:45 am »
My doctors insisted on the flu shot and pneumonia shot. 
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 05:40:38 am »
Didn't know you could get a pneumonia shot. Still recovering from pneumonia and wouldn't recommend it! If the shot works, go for it.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 06:36:59 pm »
Pneumonia shot only works for certain strains but still definitely worth it.  Used to be it was only recommended for 65 and over but now they are reconsidering especially in people with other medical situations.  Also there is some controversy as to how long it is effective - heard you need another in ten years???
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Raydean

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:47 pm »
Chet has the flu shot yearly. In fact his doctor gave  him priority status when the flu vacine was in short supply.  He also has the pneumonia shot which is good for at least  5 years.  Once a person has pneumonia it's easier for them to come down with it again.  Both shots are well worth it, especially if there are other medical conditions.  Since the flu shot is not immedialtely effective in your system it's usually considered better to receive your shot earlier in the season then waiting till later in the season.

kathleen, probably best to ask your doctor for the go ahead.  Larry glad to hear you're feeling better.

Best to all
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 08:01:37 pm »
Last year the flu shots were in major demand here and there were very strict protocol as to who got them.  I didn't make the list but my doctor gave me one anyone and said SHHHH don't tell anyone where I got it  LOL  didn't want me to take a chance being so close post surgery.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:12:42 am »
I was told that I would need to get the pneumonia shot every five years. It was really nice not having it this past year.  First time in ten years.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 03:46:18 pm »
Thanks all, I'm getting mine this Monday 10/16.  Figure I'm better safe than sorry, just making sure that nothing weird happened to anyone having it so close to the surgical date.  Well, 3 months post, but that's still kinda soon.  I scheduled it for late in the day so I could get it, go home, and fall over if need be.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 12:34:38 pm »
hi there - i go by some simple rules: if you tend to get colds,  other viruses, etc., i'd get the shot.  otherwise, unless the nurse who administers the flu vaccine comes knocking at my door at work, i probably won't get the shot.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 03:16:19 pm »
I'm almost 5 months post-op and earlier this week asked my PCP about getting a flue shot.  He said I should - but his office didn't have any available - and he didn't act very concerned about it.  I guess I'll have to go without a flu shot unless I see an opportunity to get the inoculation elsewhere, like at a public clinic - or something.  I'm quite healthy so I'm not overly concerned as I haven't had a flue shot in years and have survived flu season just fine.  However, if the vaccine becomes available to me, I'll take the inoculation, just to be safe.       
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:16:30 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.