Author Topic: One week later and still no taste  (Read 7763 times)

Dzimy

One week later and still no taste
« on: October 03, 2006, 11:46:48 pm »
It seems my only major side effect is a numb tongue.  Not too bad considering I need to drop a few pounds and food just doesn't taste right.  Sweet, sour or foods of different texture nothing taste good.  Is this common.  They worked on me 10 hours.  The last 2 trying to get as much off the facial nerve as possible before closing.  They left only 5% with no facial paralysis.  Anyone else had the same.  My mouth was so dry when I woke up.
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

windinthesails

Re: One week later and still no taste
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:55:45 pm »
Hi Dzimy,
I was in a similar position, a numb tongue that left food tasteless. But after awhile sections of my tongue slowly started to get feeling back and food started to have taste again. It was really nice when that started. It did take its time though. Hope this helps.
   windinthesails
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:09:35 am »
I'm still waiting for my numbness to go away and have been told it can take as little as a few months to a few years. Certain foods don't taste right but others taste fine (especially sweets LOL)  I guess it depends on the side of your tongue that is numb. 

Obita

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:20:23 am »
I had taste issues and major tongue numbness for at least three months.  Two years and five months later, my AN side of my tongue is a little sensitive to cold but it is not a big deal.  Good luck, it does get better.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:57:38 am »
I lost the taste on the side of my tongue and it's a little numb too.  It's so odd the things that taste good vs. the things that have an odd taste...it doesn't make sense which is which.   I also notice I have to work at some of my speech that involves my tongue...everyone says I sound fine, but I still feel like I sound like I have an impediment.  I hope this clears up soon!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:13:55 pm »
I complained and worried and pestered about my taste buds and my tongue for about 6 months.  It will pass, but this takes patience and confidence on your part.  Not much you can do but chew slowly, avoid things that upset your tongue, and note that being tired makes the darn thing act up.  Here I am at 10 months and only mention the problem once in a while.  Still improving.  My surgeon said the tongue and taste sense complaints are part of the afteraffects of facial nerve trauma.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:32:44 am by Boppie »

Rc Moser

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 01:03:33 pm »
I went to this site and read up on the facial nerves. IMO 8 or 10 out of the 12 are affected when you have had a AN tumor pressing on the nerves. then during you operation the try to peel the tumor sack off everthing. They (the Doctor's) also said it sticks like a bandaid to everything and that's why it takes so long to try and get all of it. The Doctors also told me that once they tamper with some of the nerves they go limp or quite functioning for a while even if they don't damage them. Your taste is provided by the VII crainal nerve, this one is usually severely affected by an AN operation, so will will be bonker's for awhile. Here is the site that explains the motor or sensory nerves of all the 12 crainal nerves. click on Brainstem nuclie of crainal nerves.  http://thalamus.wustl.edu/course/.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Dzimy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 06:36:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I knew I wouldn't be all alone on this one.  A week home from the hospital and taste/ tongue problems are really not any better.  But as time goes by I am grateful to not have many other of the possible side effects that go along with AN surgery.  I can walk pretty straight and can finally sleep through the night.   
Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 07:30:11 pm »
Donna, hang in there.  You will taste things normally in a few months.  It can be frustrating and threatening, but the nerves will recover.  My husband repeated encouraging words at dinner almost every night.  I found mild and moderate temperature foods the easiest to tolerate for the first few months.  I never did tire of my morning coffe though...just not as hot as usual.