Author Topic: appointment to consult for Phonak Cros or TransEar Friday 10/6  (Read 14121 times)

matti

Re: appointment to consult for Phonak Cros or TransEar Friday 10/6
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 11:46:06 am »
TransEarXpert - I've had SSD for 8 years and not a BAHA candidate, I have an appointment with my audiologist on the 26th and looking forward to discussing the different options. I hope she has  info on Trans Ear as well.  I am a patient at the California Ear Institute in San Ramon.

Thanks,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

chrissmom

Re: appointment to consult for Phonak Cros or TransEar Friday 10/6
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 12:43:04 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what all of you post about your trips to the audiologist.  Chris' doctor recommended BAHA  ( he doesn't want another hole in his head) but the second choice was the Starkey Destiny.  We may try the transcranial version of the Destiny, It is CIC (completely in the ear canal).  If your ear canal is too small, that won't be an option.  Also, you need to be tested for conductivity to the other ear.  Chris was borderline but still within range of good conduction.  He has the option of trying Destiny or Transear but another audiologist in the office also has SSD and she preferred the quality of sound provided by Destiny (ie. no feedback from Destiny).  Some hearing devices produce a stadium effect.  She also felt that the Destiny was more comfortable than the Transear.