Author Topic: Retrosigmoid Approach  (Read 3870 times)

joe94121

Retrosigmoid Approach
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:33:30 pm »
Hi, my neurosurgeon is recommending the retrosigmod approach to remove my 3 cm AN tumor. Are there more side effects associated with this method? If so, what are the side effects? Thanks.
Five years of progressive loss of hearing in left ear; diagnosed with a 3 cm. AN tumor; had surgery on in 12/06 to remove 2/3 of it. Recent MRI shows "bulkness" on the remaining 1/3 ... will be seeking radiation treatments on the remaining 1/3 in May 2009.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Retrosigmoid Approach
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:53:50 pm »
I think every approach has it's own equal batch of side effects, but the general one with retrosig is headaches.  The incision is further down on the neck than with translab, therefore cutting through some of the neck muscles, and that seems to bring about headaches in some people.  However translab removes the inner ear parts, so you're guaranteed SSD.  It's a decision best made by you and your doc depending on what useable hearing you have and where and how the tumor is growing. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:00:05 pm »
I had the retrosigmoid approach to remove my large (4.5cm) AN in June, 2006.   It proved very successful in my case (no headaches, CSF leaks or facial nerve problems) but of course, only your neurosurgeon (and you) can decide what surgical approach is best for you.  The retrosigmoid approach does help preserve hearing, if your hearing is still viable pre-op, but hearing preservation cannot be guaranteed.  Be aware that neurosurgeon's opinions will vary, based on their personal experience and biases for (or against) certain types of microsurgery.   They are humans, not all-knowing gods, despite what a few may think.  You have to educate yourself (as you are doing here) and take control of your medical decisions, based on accurate knowledge and information.  This site is a storehouse of that kind of information.  Please use it - and the best of luck to you.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:52:57 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:35:32 pm »
Joe where are you having your surgery?
Retro sig might cause more headaches but to me they are naggy ones.  I had severe migraines before surgery.  Due to the size and location of my tumor I was told retro was the only way to go.  I had consults with three docs and they all said the same thing but know that they do tend to lean towards what they are more comfortable with.

suelay

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 12:57:42 pm »
I too had retrosigmoid.  So far headaches have been infrequent and mild and i'm not even quite 2 weeks post-op.  I have read in several reliable studies and articles that headaches are somewhat more likely with this approach--although still not a very high incidence seems like 10% or so if I'm recalling correctly.  The reason I ultimately bit the bullet was I pursued several consults and the 2 most-experienced groups I consulted with recommended FOR ME the exact same procedure--surgery  over other options--and the exact same approach (retrosigmoid).  No doctor I consulted with ever knew what any other doctors said until after we talked and they made recommendations and most never knew at all.  I know the doctors i met with are all excellent and really have thier patient's best interest at heart, but I believe it's very hard not to be somewhat deferential to collegues and felt it was best to just get 100% independent opinions.  Their preference for me was they wanted a chance to save my hearing in my AN ear and it appears they did.  I tested when i was released at very close to my pre-op level-- it could change but so far so good. Whether hearing is preserved seems to have an awful lot to do with tumor size and hearing level pre-surgery.  I wish you the best in your research and consultations and in whatever you ultimately decide to do.  S. 
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result