Author Topic: Fatigue. Has anyone conqured it?  (Read 7220 times)

Cheryn

• Cheryn from Southern California
Fatigue. Has anyone conqured it?
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:51:55 pm »
I had my surgery done in August 05. Like many others on this board, I am struggling with extreme fatigue. I have a one year follow-up appointment on Monday with Dr. House but I'm interested in your inputs. The only relief I get is if I take a small dose of Vicodin. I fell several months ago hurting my back and knee. My PCP  prescribed  Vicodin for the pain. I noticed  immediately that I was also getting  relief from the flu like symptoms that I get from the fatigue. I don't want to spend a life time on drugs, but when the fatigue is unmanageable I am miserable. I am unable to focus and have had to leave meetings at work so they wouldn't think I was stupid....just rude....  I get emotional and over whelmed when I'm in this state. Has anyone overcome this problem and how?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:23:33 am by Cheryn »
Cheryn from So California
5x9mm AN
Middle-fossa surgery at House Ear Institute, 8/19/05
Dr. House & Dr. Schwartz

Boppie

Re: Fatigue. Has anyone concurred it?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:26:26 pm »
Maybe the fatigue could be overcome with a well timed eye rest at work to soothe your nervous system before you overload.  But, I'd be careful with the Vicodin. 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:08:05 am »
Hi Cheryn,

I found your post about the flu like symptoms that come with the fatigue interesting. I get bouts of feeling nausea and run down with the fatigue too. Never put the two together. The best thing for the fatigue is rest. Like Boppie said, you need to pay attention to your body's signals that it is getting to be too much, and take a break before you go into total sensory overload. I find that even a 15 min lay down and rest helps. if I overdo it, which I do all to often,  I  pay for a couple days. I call it sensory fatigue. your brain has to work so much harder in our condition to overcome the vestibularand hearing problems that we get overloaded. You may want to talk with your employer and explain what you are experiencing and tell them you may need to take a short break a couple times a day. or maybe even try to cut back to part time if that is possible. But I'm with Boppie, be careful with the vicodin, i ubnderstand it is habit forming. As much as I can see the benifit of the releif it temporarily gives  you it may not be the best choice. You may want to go back to the neuro and see if there is something else you can tak for this problem.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

tony

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:17:58 am »
I understand your concerns, and have a few ideas for you.
A factor in the fatigue is an "overloaded" balance mechanism
Basically "pre-op" it was automatic - now post-op, the sight mechanism is
working with the remaining balance system to keep you upright
(and on the straight and narrow ?)
So the brain is now working harder and more often.
If you like, the brain is having to work too hard
-This will cause fatigue sensations
and they are real, I have been there
 - exhaustion might be one description
 - but amazingly when the body is NOT really tired in a muscle sense.
So Solutions :
 - One - you need to restart work rebuilbing
the balance with (sorry...) more exercises.
Basically the more you retrain the new balance
- the better it will get and the more automatic it will become
In consequence the less tired you will feel
In the short term it will be tiring
- in the long term your stammina and durabilty will improve.
-Two - be aware of fliud and blood sugar levels
both seem to play a close part with good balance
note that tea and coffee, and fizzy drinks  dont really help fluid levels
(they lose more fluid than they add)
-Three - take a break, with the eyes rested
I find just 10 mins with eyes shut is worth easily
two hours sleep - the system resets itself somehow.
Hope this is of use to you
Best Regards
Tony

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:35:25 pm »
Cheryn,
  Since Vicodin is a pain medication , and probably a central nervous system depressant, I was surprised to hear you mention that you felt less fatique when takling it.    Mention this to your doctor, it may indicate some problem that could be treated in another way.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Cheryn

Thanks for all your inputs...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 01:41:16 pm »
This is really getting me down. I had my surgery in August last year. Four months before my surgery  I was dancing in a conga line in the Caribbean. I work a demanding job and have always had  high energy,and a  positive attitude. Now, by the time I get ready for work, I'm exhausted. I do not have the option of part-time work or quiet time. My job, like most others, is perform or else. I am not thrilled about the vicodin and would love to find another option. I have tried various types of exercise, walking, yoga, etc., but none have helped except to knock me off my feet. I was at the gym three days a week, working a job that I love and playing when I could. Now, sometimes I'm too tired to drive to the store. I have read about the problems with vestibular damage and the problems it can cause. I just don't know how to over come it. (Have you ever heard so much whinning in your life?) I really want my high energy life back. I did speak to a doctor about the vicodin and he was also amazed that it "helped" the fatigue, however, if you read the article below (one of my many research projects) it helps me understand why the vicodin fixes my problem. I wonder, would a muscle relaxer do the same thing based on the "muscle tightening" mentioned in the article? Or is there some other answer. I have tried Tylenol, etc. No help. I really need a do-able answer because I refuse to live the rest of my life like an 80 year old woman. So...thank you for all your responses. I see Dr. House on Monday morning and will let you know what he says. Here is a protion of the article I found on Vestibular Damage....

The vestibular, ocular, and proprioceptive systems are very important for achieving normality in every-day life, but living without one of the three (though challenging) is doable. On the other hand, if only one of the three systems is functioning, maintaining balance is impossible. Once the vestibular system is dead, it no longer transmits signals to the brain; in contrast, if it is merely damaged, it still sends signals- just the wrong ones. Consequently, the side effects of vestibular damage are worse in the initial weeks. Slowly the brain begins to depend on ocular and proprioceptive input more, while vestibular input is almost disregarded. If only one side is injured, nystagmus develops. Nystagmus is an unpleasant condition where frequent eye jerking produces vertigo, nausea, vomiting, and visual problems (Bauman, 2003).
Astonishingly, vestibular damage can also cause memory problems. Though this may sound far-fetched, here is the reason: a once-automatic reflex, balance, now requires great concentration. The area of the brain once reserved for memory and thought processing must now focus on balance control. Fatigue will often emerge in an individual from the constant requirement to concentrate on keeping one’s balance. Imagine what would happen if we had to remember to breathe! Even if it were possible, the exhaustion we would experience would be too much to handle. Muscular aches and pains may also arise. One must constantly stiffen his or her muscles to maintain his or her balance. Trying to keep the head absolutely still can bring about headaches, as well as a sore neck. As it is plain to see, living without a properly functioning vestibular system can be more than worrisome- it can be downright painful (Bauman, 2003).
5x9mm AN
Dr. House & Dr. Schwartz

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:23:08 pm »
HI Cheryn,  I had my surgery last august too.  I'm in the same boat but I'm not taking vicodin.  I basically try to lie down a bit.  I'm not back to work yet but know there is no way I could go back full time right now as last time I checked they don't have nap time at major corporations  LOL  I asked my doctor about lexapro (I'm on effexor which has helped the fatigue as it's helping the depression).  In the lexapro phamplet it mentioned GAD which is general anxiety disorder which actually sounded more like what I was experiencing with my fatigue issues.  Restlessness or feeling keyed up ( I get so tense out in public or fidgety and bored while at home) Fatigue (I always feel tired but have balance issues) Difficulty concentrating or blanking out ( I hit that sensory overload and my brain goes into meltdown mode, put me in a quiet room and leave me a lone as I'm not capapble of making decisions) Irritability (def. when I'm tired I have a shorter tolerance fuse), Muscle tension (I can feel my neck and shoulder muscles tighten and often find myself clenching my jaw), difficulty falling or staying awake (I can be dragging w/ exhaustion, lay down and can't get my mind to shut down so I can fall asleep).  I know for me this is making the energy level a lot lower than I used to be which of course frustrates me even more.  I'm learning to take little breaks by closing my eyes and sorta zoning out if the outside noise is getting too much.  I often doze when I do this and of course this was blamed on my not sleeping at night which I know is not the case.  I'm real curious what they have to say about this at house.  Funny I feel like I'm 80 then I spend time with my grandma and decide I'm really only 60  LOL  But makes the future feel bleak :(

vcschaub

Re: Fatigue. Has anyone conqured it?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:20:24 am »
Cheryn

Could you reference the complete article from which you took the "Baumann 2003" quote? I found the information very interesting and would like to read more. Thanks!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:06:16 am »
Cheryn,

My fatigue was also pervasive after the surgery, and what helped me, interestingly, were small doses of Aspirin when I was the most tired and overloaded, usually in the afternoon. It worked in about 20-30 minutes. Even my mood and tinnutis became better! I think in my case all those aches, pains, discomfort and strange sensations were taking up my energy and by getting rid of them, I freed it up for other things. May be, that's why Vicodin works for you. Surgeons are experts at surgeries but not recoveries from them, so after some time I stopped reporting everything that did not sound like meningitis or hydrocephalus.
Also, you have a physically demanding job and only 1 year after your surgery. In my experience, it takes fully two years to get to some decent functional level, although, you do get improvements along the way. So, don't give up and don't despair. Your energy will come back although it will take some time. It was the worst post-surgical time for me, too. There is so much pressure to perform, literally and figuratively, but no  energy to do it. I also went to work 3.5 months after my monstrous surgery in 1988. My boss wanted tight deadlines and overtime ( I worked on Wall street), my husband wanted a baby, and I wanted to rest. Aspirin was my best friend for awhile. I hope you feel better and find something that works for you.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Cheryn

Back from my visit with Dr. House
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 02:20:02 pm »
I love Dr. House. What else can I say. First, we talked about how I have been feeling and why I didn't come in sooner. Of course he knows me well enough to understand that I was fighting my way through it and thought I could do it "by myself". After all, any other surgery I've had  kept me down for a couple of weeks and then I was back roaring up and down the corporate halls with no set backs. He did what is the equivalent of a Highway Patrol DUI check on me. I swaggered like a drunk and would have been dragged off to jail for sure. At that point I had a complete emotional breakdown. Tears out of control. I'm tired, I can't focus, I don't want to travel or drive or vist with friends. Any problem (out of milk) sends me, the Murphy Brown of Aerospace,  into tears.  We talked about the Vicodan and why it worked and that muscle relaxers would probably do the same thing for me because it's the stress of balancing that's causing the fatigue. However, he wants me to have my life back not just a bottle of pills (did I say I love this man?) He will be doing a few other tests (that dreadful water in your ear test...), something else that I'm not sure of and some vestibular rehab. He agreed completely with the information I presented to him from the article above. He kept pressing down on my shoulders which seem to be permanently relocated up around my ears. He repeated several times that my brain was not adapting to the single signal from my right ear and the fatigue was from extreme stress that my body is undergoing trying to maintain my balance. I told him if I applied the stress I feel  to the  pain scale they use in hospitals (1-10  10 being the most amount of pain) I was at an 8-9 and that the stress is painful, just not in the way we normally relate as pain. He agreed completely.  Until we can get further down the road with my recovery I'll take 2.5 mg of valium and not take the pain relievers. I remember reading that someone else here is taking valium for the fatigue and it was working well for him. I am so relieved that I'm not crazy, or lazy and that he completely understood my problem and he will do what the House Clinic always does...take care of me. I will try to find the complete article on the fatigue I posted above. I'm like a beagle when I start searching the net for these things. I just follow a path and then forget where I started. I usually cut and paste the part that applies to my needs so I'll need to search for it. So, even tho I'm still fatigued and we have identified that I have a stubborn brain that won't adapt, I feel like there's hope for a more complete recovery from the post-op fatigue and that I'll be dancing in a conga line in the Caribbean again soon.
5x9mm AN
Dr. House & Dr. Schwartz

Obita

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:10:21 pm »
I LOVE stories like this.  Not the part about your fatique of course, but your doctor LISTENING to you.  AN doctors must listen and help us for years to come if necessary. 

This is a very important thread and thanks for posting. 

Good luck Cheryn!!  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

vcschaub

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 03:56:36 pm »
I am so happy about your visit with Dr House. The whole team at the House Clinic is the greatest. Take your time finding that article. Take care.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

tony

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 12:59:33 am »
Yes this dratted balance thing is right at the core.
My suggestion is during your normal day set aside 10-20 mins each day
- just you, no formal classes for a bit ballet or yoga.
or anything similar you enjoy doing
Dont try it if/when you are tired or in pain
and start small - work up to an hour or so when you can
You`d be surprised how fast you will notice improvements
both in terms of normal walking and overall stamina
(for me it was golf - a year ago 3 holes max - last week 12 holes, 8 balls per hole)
I can do 3-4 hrs on a course at a strech - and other non-ops with me
complain of fatigue...
Give it time and apply yourself to the rebuild
Best Regards
Tony