Author Topic: Coming out of the closet to say "Hi and Thank You" to you all!!  (Read 6206 times)

sdf350

Coming out of the closet to say "Hi and Thank You" to you all!!
« on: September 16, 2006, 06:12:28 pm »
For the last 5 weeks I've felt like a voyeur on this website.  Just reading everybodies messages and sponging in all the information that you share with each other.  I have learned so very much from all your experiences- both good and bad.  I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and after following a wise person's advise from this site...I'm following my heart and my gut- and have decided to have my surgery done at House Ear.  My team will be Drs. Friedman and Schwartz.  Since I live in New York, this will mean I will be travelling to California for my 11/3 surgery. My wife and I have made our airplane reservations for the trip and are trying to get in contact with the Seton guest center to make reservations there for our stay while we are in California.--since everybody has written such positive things about the place.  On friday afternoon I had left a message on Seton guest center's answering machine to make that reservation,  but I guess they had already left for the weekend.  Will try again on Monday..Each journey  is started one small step at a time!! Thanks again for being there..... 
Scott- age 50
2.0 x 1.5 cm left "ice cream coned" AN
total sudden left side hearing loss
scheduled for translab at HEI on 11/03/06 with
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Coming out of the closet to say "Hi and Thank You" to you all!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 06:50:36 pm »
Before you go back in the closet, sdf, why don't you tell us a little about yourself. You can also post a "sig line" that is the stuff in the smaller type at the bottom of the posts by following the directions in Helpful how-tos in the Welcome Meassage area. Sorry you had to join us here, but we're glad you did!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 07:07:53 pm »
HI SDF, best of luck to you!!!  Wow you'll making a long trip but from what I've heard they are tops there!  Plus Deb swears they have good mashed taters  ;)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:29:28 pm »

Hi Sdf .. I work in Greenwich, I can spit on the NY State line .. are you in the City? or upstate? I also went to "House" and stayed at Seton Hall , very reasonable price, you'll be happy there... welcome aboard!!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sdf350

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 09:54:51 pm »
I live on Long Island, NY (Suffolk county)...Thanks for the welcome!
Scott- age 50
2.0 x 1.5 cm left "ice cream coned" AN
total sudden left side hearing loss
scheduled for translab at HEI on 11/03/06 with
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:56:27 am »

I assume you have made you traval arragements already, but you you havn't we took Jet Blue from JFK.  I'm LI once in a while, my brother-in-law lives over there too, we take the Bridgeport to Port Jeff Boat.. and he's not far for Port Jeff ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

pattibobatti

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:31:33 am »
Good for you sdf!!

Sounds like you have got everything under control.. My son just moved to Malibu starting his first job..... He has been a tremendous help to me and I am sure he would want to help you two out when you are in California.  We used to live there and maybe he could run errands for you, etc.   

This whole experience is sometimes overwhelming and people that have been through it reallly understand.  Let me know if we can do anything for you!

Take care
Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 09:43:07 am »
House is the Best!  I had my surgery there in Jan of 03.  Message me off- forum (click on the IM thingy under my pic) and I'll give you my phone # if you want to talk to me about it--I'll be able to give you a play-by-play of what you'll experience and a critique of the food--GREAT mashed potaotes.  I had MF and it was hard to chew, and my tastebuds were off,  so they went down real easy. Seton is the best, too.

Capt Deb 8)

Obita

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 01:50:47 pm »
Hello sdf350 and welcome -

I am so glad for you that your decision is made AND your surgery date is set.  I remember that part being a huge relief. 

Best of luck to you,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 02:35:28 pm »
Hi from Vancouver, Wa.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I  hope everything goes okay, which I'm sure it will since you are going to one of the best places on the planet for people who opt for the surgery.  Let us know how you are doing - everyone here loves to hear the success stories.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tryston

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:34 am »
Hello Scott,

I just had middle fossa at HEC/St. Vincent's 2 weeks ago. i don't have any other hospitalization experiences, but EVERYONE there was great. Some nurses are better than others but they are all dedicated and seem to follow a philosophy of caring. My surgeons and their associates were incredibly positive and attentive and I feel very priveleged to have been under their care.

I found Seton kind of gross, frankly. But I only saw one room. I stayed at the downtown Marriot. There are several hotels dowtown that offer special (and good) rates if you're there for surgery. The hospital food isn't very good either but neighboring mexican food is good. The clinic is directly across the street from the hospital and Seton is connected to the hospital. There is parking and I think you just get validated at the hospital. I am also living in NYC, but grew up in LA. I would not say the immediate neighborhood is particularly unsafe, just very urban.

Your pre-op day will be a looong one, fyi. I had already left NY before my info packet arrived and this was a surprise to me.

Best of luck! I really can't say enough good things about my experience there.
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:15:59 am »
That's funny, our room at Seton was quite lovely. It had a very comfortable King bed, a large sofa, nice furniture, a big TV, a fridge and a  bathroom with a tiled shower. I had a great view of the Hollywood sign, too. It was spotlessly clean, too. It also had a call button for the hospital if anything should happen to me, which was comforting.
Capt Deb 8)

tryston

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:31:10 am »
Yeah, I think the degree of care has been maintained and is excellent but I think the ammenities have changed since you were there, Capt. I was really looking forward to those mashed potatoes. The room I was given was a bit tattered and stained, but not unclean. I just found it a little depressing. Also the caf is only open for a couple hours at breakfast time and a couple hours at lunch. Food is very typical caf food.
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

amylynn

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 08:21:06 pm »
Scott, I will find out tomorrow when my surgery will be at House.  I'll be on the lookout for ya if I am.  I'll keep in touch.  I will keep you in my prayers.   
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO