Author Topic: Can anyone tell me how they gained access to Dr Friedman or Dr Brackmann  (Read 4868 times)

Holly85

I am a newbie to all this. Was diagnosed Aug 28/14  with left side AN. 1.2 cm. I live in San Diego. I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with Dr. Friedman, or Dr. Brackmann. I have talked to both, and would love to get access to either one, but can't seem to negotiate the Insurance maze. I am self employed and have cov cal HMO, but can change my plan Nov 1/14, to a PPO, or even get a private plan if I have to. Both these Dr's seem to be out of all insurance networks. Maybe this post should be under insurance, But I thought I would start here as anyone who has had surgery with either one of these two, may be able to tell me what kind of insurance they had that gained them access, what was their surgery experience like, and any information on what to be aware of to head off any kind of problems both post surgery and billing. Thank you, any information would be very much appreciated.

mandy721

Re: Can anyone tell me how they gained access to Dr Friedman or Dr Brackmann
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:26:04 pm »
Hi,
I don't have experience with either doctor, but wanted to urge you, if you haven't already done so, to contact the billing/insurance departments at Keck/USC and House and ask what insurance plans they accept.   I may be totally wrong, but I can't imagine that they don't accept any insurance. 

From the Keck Medicine of USC website -"Keck Medicine of USC accepts Medicare-assignment, private insurance and works in collaboration with many local and national managed care networks. Please call us at (866) 860-8964 if you are concerned or have a question about whether your insurance is accepted here."

The phone number at House is (213) 483-9930.

Miranda

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

michellef08

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:00:12 pm »
Hi Holly,
I had my surgery at House (almost) 2 years ago with Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Friedman, and also had some insurance setbacks.

I had to call many times to both House and my insurance. At first Aetna wouldn't cover Dr. Schwartz because he was out of network, but with multiple calls, they finally confirmed it was in-network and would be covered! You just have to stay persistent.

I had Middle Fossa surgery, and they completely saved my hearing, and I had zero facial or balance issues. I can't give say enough how amazing they were!

Let me know if you have more questions, I am happy to share my story!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:38:00 pm »
I agree with Mandy.  Call the hospitals and tell them you are having insurance issues and you really want to go there.  They often will work it out with insurance.  Also try calling your insurance company and tell them you want them to make an exception.  Maybe they will pay as out of network.  Try it from all sides.  Be the squeaky wheel.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

mariat

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:30 pm »
I had surgery with Dr. House and Dr. Schwartz and used my HMO insurance, I'm in Regal Downtown LA medical group and continue using it for my annual check ups with Dr. House.
Call 213-273-8072 and speak to George at House Ear Clinic he is responsible for referrals, super nice guy who will be able to help you.