Author Topic: Parathyroid nodules and Acoustic Neuromas - Is there a connection?  (Read 8490 times)

Kat From Indiana

I thought I read somewhere that there is a study looking at a connection between parathyroid nodules (with calcium overload) and the growth of acoustic neuromas.  Now I can't find anything but I know I did not dream it.  I have thyroid nodules (not sure if they are on the thyroid or parathyroid) and now am worrying that I might end up with a 2nd AN in my other ear.  I would appreciate a link or more info if there is any out there. 

On another subject, I have been feeling very sorry for myself; mourning the loss of hearing in my right ear and bemoaning the constant ringing.  I have been weepy when I talk or think about it.  Then I realized that I had not visited the AN forum lately.  I actually came back to try to find more info on the thyroid/AN connection, but what I found instead was that there are a lot of people out there who are much worse off than I am, who are getting along just fine.  It helps to put things into perspective for me and makes me want to stop feeling so sorry for myself and to start living again and thinking more about other people and less about my own "inconveniences".  Thanks AN forum and thanks AN users for sharing and caring.
Diagnosed 3/29/14 Right Side AN 8mm x 3mm x 4mm
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Parathyroid nodules and Acoustic Neuromas - Is there a connection?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:39:04 pm »
Hi Kat .....

I have not read about a study on a connection between parathyroid nodules and acoustic neuromas.  If you find where you read about it, post a link here for us.

The only correlation that I have seen documented is between large exposure to ionizing radiation and the formation of acoustic neuromas.

There is currently a study underway at Yale on origins of acoustic neuromas.  Anyone with a documented AN can still participate in that study.  Check out the ANA home page.  Also, check out: http://publichealth.yale.edu/news/archive/article.aspx?id=5909

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »
Thanks Clarice,
The connection here is the overload of calcium. I suppose I should have made my subject line say Calcium overload and Acoustic Neruromas.  I happen to to have thyroid nodules which may cause calcium overload.  I am just trying to see if there are any dots to connect here. 
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:38 pm »
Found this on the AN home page.   I underlined the point of interest.  I would really like to find more info regarding the study this refers to.

Cause or Etiology of Acoustic Neuroma
There is a growing body of evidence that sporadic defects in tumor suppressor genes may give rise to these tumors in some individuals. Other studies have hinted at exposure to loud noise on a consistent basis. One study has shown a relationship of acoustic neuromas to prior exposure to head and neck radiation, and a concomitant history of having had a parathyroid adenoma (tumor found in proximity to the thyroid gland controlling calcium metabolism). There are even controversies on hand held cellular phones. Whether or not the radiofrequency radiation has anything to do with acoustic neuroma formation, remains to be seen. To date, no environmental factor (such as cell phones and diet) has been scientifically proven to cause these tumors.  ANA does recommend that frequent cellular phone users use a hands free device to enable separation of the device from the head. Please refer to the News section for the latest information about acoustic neuroma and cell phones.

GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »
Hi Kat,
I don't have any info on studies or causal theories; however, I do have some experience with a parathyroid adenoma and having an AN...

Little history,, I was diagnosed with thyroid nodules in about 1975 and chose to just monitor them...(no meds) ,, I was followed by an endocrinologist for years and in 2004 an ultrasound indicated that one nodule (out of 8 I had been monitoring) had calcified and thyroid cancer was diagnosed. During thyroidectomy surgery, it was discovered that one of my parathyroid glands was enlarged and had to be removed. Then in 2008 I was diagnosed with my AN.. coincidentally, or not,, all nodules/tumors were on my right side..

Are they related?? Who knows,, but it's difinitely interesting,,, keep us informed if you find out more info on this ,, some of us are extremely interested,, good luck to you and keep your nodules monitored closely.  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »
I had 2 parathyroidectomies - one in 2010, the other in 2011.  I am convinced my AN, parathyroid issues, and other assorted endocrine related problems stem from having received x-rays to my neck area back in the 1950s.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!