Author Topic: Has anyone been able to wear soft contact lenses  (Read 4967 times)

annec

Has anyone been able to wear soft contact lenses
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:19 am »
Short and sweet:  I am 10 months post surgery.  My facial nerve was damaged and I am slowly improving. My eye has gotten much better, but I still must use ointment or drops. I wonder if anyone had facial paralysis and was able to wear soft contact lenses after surgery.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Has anyone been able to wear soft contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:31:44 am »
Have you looked into synergeyes lenses? They are mini-sclerals with a gas permeable center and a soft skirt.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Pamela55

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:57:12 pm »
I started wearing soft contact lens a year ago - 4 yrs after my last surgery. I was wondering if I would ever be able to wear them since my tear ducts were not working in that eye. I have a great eye Dr. and he wanted to give it a try. It worked thank goodness. I carry around my 'refresh' eye drops and use them 4 times a day and it seems to work. Of course, he wants to see me whenever I feel things are not feeling 'normal'. So far so good.

Yes, I did do the ointment and patching for 4 yrs and thought it would never end - but it has.

And yes, I still have paralysis on the left side of my face and I was told that if it was to get better, it would probably take a good 7 yrs. Needless to say, I have had to learn alot of patience. I have to always remember the alternative, so this is much better. 

annec

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:24:53 pm »
Thank you both, Saralynn and Pamela!

I have researched the hybrid soft/gas permeable lens and do like the sound of that except the cost!  Thank you for the suggestion, Saralynn. I will be seeing an opthamologist tomorrow and will explore my options. I am almost a year post surgery and started wearing my soft contact lenses about a month or so ago. I do keep my Pure Moist rewetting drops handy and take out the lenses almost as soon as I get home. So far I have managed, I think. Thanks for letting me know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, Pamela.  :)

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:14 pm »
If you have Insurance please try and see if the lenses would be covered.  My first gas permeable lens wasn't covered but my doctor and I appealed the claim and won, down side was that they but it towards my deductible because the lens was billed through the optical company which wasn't in network. 

I am now getting a 2nd lens and they billed it through the doctors office, the claim was denied but again we appealed.  Will let you know how it turns out.  If you get a lens please try the Insurance route, I'm hoping if enough people like us file the claims and win the appeals eventually it won't be so hard on those that need them after we do.  Would love to think that we made a difference for others, made this journey a bit easier for others. 

Take Care, Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

annec

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »
Thank you for your advice, Jill Marie!  I hope you win this battle as well.  I agree that more awareness and appeals may make dealing with insurance easier for us in the future.

My doctor said all looked well with my eye, so for now I will continue to wear the soft lenses.

I appreciate all the advice I have been given!!!