Author Topic: Long versus short haircut suggestions  (Read 5839 times)

raji83

Long versus short haircut suggestions
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:21:58 am »
Hey all,
I have long hair . Thinking to get it short before surgery so that managing long hair might be one extra thing while recovering . Plus i have one year old who has habbit of pulling my hair (funny) . SO any suggestions if get short hair cut will help me in any way. I will be having translab procedure so nt even sure how much they gonna shave and all. You might find thsi as useless post but you know at this point so many concerns come in your mind. Inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Long versus short haircut suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:38 am »
Hi mot83 .....

First of all, no post is useless and this is an important question!

No need to change your hairstyle unless you simply wanted to make it easier to manage post-op.  Most surgeons these days shave very little of your hair and the remaining hair covers the area completely.

All of my surgeons let me wash my hair as soon as the staples/stitches were removed, at one week post-op.

Keep asking those questions, no matter what .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

raji83

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »
Thank you so much Clarice. M touched.

CS

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:33 pm »
Hi mot83,

I am waiting for my surgery date, but I recently cut about 7 inches of my hair. It's shoulder length now and I found myself easier to manage even pre-op. :)

I'll have retrosigmoid approach so incision will be different from yours.  I've asked one of member who had the same surgery about two weeks ago if she can share the photo of the incision, how much her hair was shaved. (Thanks Jenny!)  She kindly shared her pic and I got pretty good idea where and how big my incision will be and what my hair style would look like.

I'm on the same boat- I started concerning many things regarding my surgery and recovery.
Diagnosed: 06/04/14
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN
Seeking best treatment option! :)
09/24/14 Retro-Sigmoid Removal

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:10:36 am »
I left mine until after, mind you on the surgical side I had only a little in front of my ear and then a huge bald area....ended up getting it all shaved off after but you never know what you might have post op....better to wait and see I think (might be able to hide the incision still)
just my two cents
kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

miaaro

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »
I'm a guy who will likely be scheduling my translab surgery next week. I wear my hair fairly short, so there will be no way to hide the scar with hair above it. I'm going to get mine cut tomorrow "high and tight" like a Marine. I'm going to do it a little prior to scheduling surgery so my son can get used to seeing it that way before he sees me post-surgery. Just trying to soften the blow a bit since I'm sure I will not be a pretty sight. He's already lost his mother from a few years ago, so I'm a bit sensitive about his worry with me having this done.