Author Topic: Anyway save hearing with Translab?  (Read 5988 times)

CS

Anyway save hearing with Translab?
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with 1.2mm x 0.7m X 0.6mm AN two weeks ago... I've been contacting my medical groups to referred me to Nurosergoens, but my Insurance keep denying as "It's medically unnecessary." 

Anyway, one doctor looked at my MRI and hearing test which I sent via e-mail and he recommended Translab since I almost have no hearing... but I still want to believe that I have some hearing left as I can hear the sound when I put Q-tip in the ear and phone or headphone with high volume.

Is there any test to find out I have some hearing left or completely gone other than regular hearing test?  Also, anyone who went through Translab procedure and still have hearing?
Diagnosed: 06/04/14
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN
Seeking best treatment option! :)
09/24/14 Retro-Sigmoid Removal

rupert

Re: Anyway save hearing with Translab?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »
You can certainly have another hearing test.  It took three hearing tests for me to be convinced my hearing was gone. I didn't believe it was that bad but, alas it was.  The translab approach removes parts of the inner ear so hearing preservation is not an option with that procedure.  It gives a very good angle for the surgeon to get to the tumor and that is why they prefer to do translab,  especially if hearing is already beyond saving. Your tumor is small and I would also recommend you get some opinions on the different radiation treatments such as gamma knife and cyber knife. You are probably a good candidate for those also.  As far as the insurance, just keep working with the doctors you go with and more than likely you will be approved, just takes a little persistence on their part.  Good luck to you.

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:26:17 am »
Have you thought about radiation. My hearing actually improved after radiation.
That's not all that common but it does happen.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:26:13 pm »
As the other person said, Translab destroys hearing.  The approaches that are used for hearing preservation are middle fossa and retrosigmoid.  I have read that radiation can save hearing, especially Cyberknife.  It would be good to talk to both experienced surgeons and doctors experienced in radiation and ask about hearing, as that would be an option for a tumor your size.

I was obsessed about saving hearing.  One doctor did do a separate test called a BAER test.  Once he read the results and told me there was no chance of saving my hearing, then I finally gave in to that.  But I have to say that losing hearing in one ear has not been a big deal at all.  Normal conversational hearing is fine.  I do have trouble in crowded rooms.  But that is nothing more than an inconvenience to me, not a major issue at all.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

CS

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »
Hi Rupert,

Thank you for your reply-

I hesitate to destroy my left hearing if there is any left. I know translab is more quick recovery than other two method of the surgery.  I'll probably ask another hearing test before I make any decision.
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

CS

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
Hi PaulW

Wow, you are very fortunate that your hearing improved.  Did you do GammaKnife or CyberKnife?
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

CS

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »
Hi v357139,

I wasn't considering radiation, but now I want to talk about the option with experience doctors.  I also interested in the BAER test.  I am already living life of SSD and am getting used to, but still part of me don't want to give up the hope that hearing may restored if the proper treatment is done....
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

v357139

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:16 pm »
Dr Chang at Stanford is a highly regarded doctor who does a lot of Cyberknife.  You might check with him.  Fyi on Baer test, not all doctors feel it is necessary.  I got it from Dr Post at Mt Sinai in NY.  I had read some articles he had written on hearing preservation.  Once he told me he could not save my hearing, after 3 other doctors all said same (more or less), then I knew there was no chance, and I finally accepted it.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

CS

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »
Hi v357139

Thanks for your reply.

I'll see one radiation oncologist next week so it would be interesting to discover the option, too. I'll check with BAER test with other doctors.
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

cpchri1

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:09:27 am »
If you want to salvage hearing translab is not the way to go.  Actually the reason so many places recommend translab is that's the principle approach they know. 

Seriously go to a place that specializes in hearing conservation, such as House Clinic in LA.  I believe you may be able to have a middle fossa approach (which is one of the most technical approaches) with your tumor size which has possible hearing conservation.  Make a copy of your MRI CD (or get one if you don't have it already) and send it (and any copyes of your hearing test records) by FEDEX to the link at this URL:

http://www.houseearclinic.com/consultation/acousticneuroma

You'll get a free by phone call from a House Doctor and they can tell you what is possible.  They will call you about 3-4 days after you FEDEX them your records.   They have also done research on indicators for fundal fluid as statistical evidence for hearing conservation using MFA.

Now I traveled from out of town there and while I had surgery, there was three of us from out of town (New York, Tennessee, and Washington).  They are set up for this.  This would be another recommendation to save your hearing.  Additionally, if hearing is lost, House specializes in implants if the audio nerve is not viable.   I was in the same boat as you and glad that’s where I went. My hearing was saved although other doctors told me it was not viable.   My best to you.  Craig
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014

v357139

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:36 am »
I agree that House is a great choice.  Mid fossa is a hearing preservation approach.  I also went there from NY.  Had translab, but my tumor was big, and hearing was all but gone at that point.