Author Topic: right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options  (Read 4093 times)

xjxj_1983

right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:22:22 am »
My mom has right cerebellopontine angle meingiomas. She was diagnosed in May 18th, 2014. It is on the right and the size is 15mm * 13mm. She was worried about this tumor and will do another MRI this week.

We wanna know the surgery options for this tumor and how dangerous for the surgery, any possible side effect?

BTW, how is Johns hopkins hospital in this tumor?
I am in the US but not my mom. can she take flight now and after surgery? will the flight cause any problem to her brain? How long the recovery may take?

If you have any information, or you have experience in this tumor, please kindly let me know.

Sorry for so many questions, I am so worried about her health. Thank you so much!!!

Kristena

Re: right Cerebellopontine Angle Meningiomas surgery options
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:13 am »
Make sure you look into both surgery and radiation options before making a decision. Based on the location, it sounds small enough that radiation may be a good option. Mine was also a meningioma in the exact same location, but it was larger and pressing on the brainstem, so surgery seemed to be the "safer" option. But I never even met with a radiosurgeon, so I'll never know for sure. Now a year later, I'm still dealing with many, many issues.

Just don't rush it. Do your research and look into all the options before making your decision.

Wishing you and your mom all the best!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

xjxj_1983

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:10:54 pm »
Thanks Kristena. Will the radiation kill good cells? This is my concern.

Snuggy1987

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »
I also had a right CPA Meningioma grade 1 tumor diagnosed in November 2012 and had surgery in January 2013 at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.  The care I received at UMMC was excellent and the doctors are the best. My tumor was the size of an olive and crushed the facial and aural nerves, so I lost my hearing and have Bell's Palsy; but I still would recommend the UMMC care team without question. 

When I initially telephoned Johns Hopkins in November 2012, they wouldn't schedule an evaluation until late February 2013.  By then I already had my surgery at UMMC.

xjxj_1983

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »
Thanks Snuggy1987. Did you mean you lost hearing and have besll's palsy before or after surgery? My mom is so worried about negative side effect and she does not want to do surgery at this moment.

It seems UMMC is a good choice. Did you get any chance to compare UMMC and JHH?

Hope you are doing well!!!